Find the answer to your Linux question:
im having problems with REALLY small menu fonts in X.. i use KDE but i doubt that has anything to do with it, when i change font size in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

small menu fonts in X

im having problems with REALLY small menu fonts in X.. i use KDE but i doubt that has anything to do with it, when i change font size in the kde settings its just for the KDE related menus.

the menus in firefox for example are barely readable, i know this is changeable in the about:config with the dpi setting, default is -1 i think, and when i put it to 0 it makes the font really big and ugly instead.

at first i had this problem when i used the vesa driver in X, then i switched to the radeon driver which supports my card, and then the fonts were normal. Then my laptop lcd broke and now i use my LCD tv instead and then the problem returns.

anyone know how to manage these settings?!

thanks/johan

oz
    forum.guy
    Is is just in the GTK related apps that this is happening?
    oz

Just Joined!
    im not sure of which apps use gtk and which doesnt, but i suppose it could be? the menus im talking about look the same (same err.. button design) in all apps the problem occurs in. it occurs in firefox, azureus, VLC and so on. its the "File" button and the other menus on that row im talking about.. i could show you if you tell me how to make screen dumps!

oz
    forum.guy
    Do you have the gtk-qt-engine package installed? If not, you might try that because it has a setting controlling any GTK fonts.

Otherwise, take a look at the fix that worked for someone else in the last post of this thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/man...all-fonts.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    that did it for the menu fonts, only i had to change to 16 instead of 11 to make it look normal sized. ,
    now the web pages fonts got all messed up instead, the addressbar and type fields in general is really really small, and links get much smaller than regular text,.
    if i do ctrl +/- those sizes keeps their relations =(

Just Joined!
    i just remembered makeing all the font entrys in about:config a couple of sizes bigger last time all fonts were too small, so i resetted those and now the pages look normal as well

so now my "barely visual" font pile is reduced to the address bar and the status bar in firefox any idea s?

thanks for helping me out by the way!

oz
    forum.guy
    No, I'm not really sure what might be causing that.

I've had problems with small fonts in the status bar from time to time but it was usually related to the firefox theme I was using at the time. I would have thought the .gtkrc fix would fix the location bar, too.

Maybe someone that has experienced this will reply with a fix.
    oz