Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Red Hat linux 8.0 . I am doing an opengl project for which i need to update my AGP card drivers for better performance. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing New Nvidia Geforce 2 Drivers

I have just installed Red Hat linux 8.0 . I am doing an opengl project for which i need to update my AGP card drivers for better performance. I have a ChainTech Geforce 2, 400 mmx, 64mb card. I ran NVChooser that was provided at the Nvidia site. I installed the drivers and the kernel file that was provided by the NVChooser. But after installing the kernel file and the drivers I cannot go into XWindows anymore. When ever i type startx it gives me some errors and come back to the prompt. I need help ASAP.

Linux Guru
    Can you do a copy and paste of the error messages, / write them here please?

You may be able to get into X at a crap resolution by running XF86Config at the command line, reconfigure X to use basic/generic drivers.

Cheers,

Jason

Linux Newbie

XF86

Have you changed ur XF86Configurator-4 file?
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Just Joined!
    Make sure you are using the new driver in you /etc/X11/XF86Conf-4 file. The old driver for Nvidia is listed as "nv". To use the new driver you must change the "nv" to "nvidia". Also check your XF86 log to see where it is crashing. My guess is on the load of the GLcore or GLX.

The new Nvidia drivers should include the GLcore in the GLX load. So if you have the Load "GLcore" you might want to comment it out. If you try to load it twice it can cause X to crash.