Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
No problem. It's your hardware. If you're not doing any 3D accelerated application work, you should be just fine with vesa or nv. (Though I personally have had stability problems with nv and would stick with vesa.)
Well, I am not working with 3D or anything, but every now and then I'd like to play a game. Two of my favourites (oolite and - surprisingly - gnu backgammon) require OpenGL support.

Anyway, the problem seems to be in compiling the kernel module. I am running a 2.6.18-5 kernel from Debian/Etch distribution (because of the fish problems), and when module-assistant tries to compile the kernel module, it warns about different compiler versions, and produces a lot more warning like this:

include/asm/io.h: In function check_signature:
include/asm/io.h:275: warning: wrong type argument to increment
In file included from include/asm/pci.h:92,
from include/linux/pci.h:691,
from /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv/nv-linux.h:76,
from /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv/nv-i2c.c:8:
include/asm-generic/pci-dma-compat.h: In function pci_map_page:
include/asm-generic/pci-dma-compat.h:49: warning: pointer of type ‚void *‚ used in arithmetic

The solution seems to be to compile my own kernel with the right compiler, but still the old version. Or to wait until they get that socket problem (or kde's fish protocol handler) fixed, so that I can run with stock kernels again.

Until then, I can live without GL support. So far the nv driver has been stable - I try vesa if this crashes even once.

- Heikki