Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know how to alter the number of virtual desktops without using a GUI? Surely there is a configuration file somewhere where this can be changed, but I can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    dyn
    Just Joined!

KDE Virtual Desktops

Does anyone know how to alter the number of virtual desktops without using a GUI? Surely there is a configuration file somewhere where this can be changed, but I can't find it. I thought it would be in ~/.kde/share/config, and I did find the file minipager_panelapplet_5d7ynahzk0wbe8mzuu3n_rc. However, the contents are just:
    Code:
    [General]
    LabelType=LabelNone
    This looks like the file that should contain the settings, but it doesn't. I've heard this file is actually generated with each new session, but I haven't checked. Also, in kwinrc I found a section like this:
    Code:
    [Desktops]
    Name_1=Desktop
    Name_2=Names
    Name_3=Go
    Name_4=Here
    Number=4
    But this data seems to be updated only when kwin is re-executed. For instance, if I used the KDE Kicker "Mini Pager" applet and lowered my virtual desktops to 2 and then run kwin --replace that section becomes:
    Code:
    [Desktops]
    Name_1=Desktop
    Name_2=Names
    Name_3=
    Name_4=
    Number=2
    So, this section also seems to be irrelevant to what I am trying to accomplish... Does anyone know how to do this without using the Mini Pager applet's graphical interface?

Edit:
    I don't think this would affect the location of this file, but I'm using Kubuntu (KDE Ubuntu). Any help is appreciated even if it's not Kubuntu-related.
    Last edited by dyn; 12-08-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Added my distro of choice.