Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is a weird one. When using cad programs the display seems squished on the horizontal in some way. For example circles appear as upright ovals. This problem is not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

distortion using cad

This is a weird one. When using cad programs the display seems squished on the horizontal in some way. For example circles appear as upright ovals. This problem is not obvious in any other situation such as watching video. That's not to say the problem does not exist, only that it isn't obvious.

The CAD programs are QCAD and a couple of others specific to computer numerical control. These same programs work perfectly using Ubuntu on another computer. The computer giving difficulty runs Mepis. Maybe it's a resolution thing?
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

oz
    forum.guy
    Just guessing here, but could your DPI settings be incorrect on the computer with the distortion?
    oz

Linux Newbie
    How is DPI adjusted? <apropos DPI> shows a couple of utilities I'm not familiar with.
    <xrandr> shows I'm running at 1280x768.
    Using <xrandr -s> to change to 1024x768 fixes the cad problems. I don't like the way the desktop displays at this setting.
    Maybe this can be set in xorg.conf somehow?
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close