Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to remove xorg and replace it with xfree86. This is for hardware reasons. I'm thinking I can probably just use an older distro and let it be, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I need to replace xorg with xfree86

I want to remove xorg and replace it with xfree86. This is for hardware reasons. I'm thinking I can probably just use an older distro and let it be, but with this old hardware setup I have, it is seriously not that easy.

At the moment, I've been using a debian system, and it seems to be using xorg. I keep trying to use apt-get/aptitude to remove xorg and install xfree86, but it seems like all the other xorg packages want to install with it. That is totally against the idea of solely using xfree86.

So, I'm wondering if any of you know a way I can get xfree86 to work inside of a debian system. Is there an older debian system one of you might know about that contains xfree86? I'm looking for one that contains xfree86 4.1 or newer.

Uninstalling xorg is not a good idea as you know that a lot of other packages depends on xorg.
    I dont know which version of Debian has XFree86 but you can compile it. Check here for instructions.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

It looks like Debian 4.0 introduced xorg, but Debian 3.1 continued to keep and work upon xfree86. Seems like Debian Sarge and Debian Woody are the two past things with xfree86.

I have a driver that was created for xfree86. However, I'm not sure how to compile it and install it with xorg. I'm not even sure if it could be. The driver was designed during the days of xfree86 4.1.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close