Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I am new to linux and this is my first post on linuxforums.org, Shame its a boring one! I installed Mandrake Linux on my Laptop which is a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Snowing In X !

Hey all,

I am new to linux and this is my first post on linuxforums.org, Shame its a boring one!

I installed Mandrake Linux on my Laptop which is a Toshiba Satellite 2670DVD with a Trident Cyber 9525 Video card.

Anyway the issue I am having is after I configure X using xf86config it works fine however I have 'snow' or 'fuzz' all over my screen it all looks so pixally.

What I dont understand is when I installed Mandrake I got to the part of the installl where I configure X and it gives me the option if I want to use a X 3.x.x style config fiile or a X 4.x.x style config file and it also asks me if i want to use a flat panel which the average xf86config wont!.

Anyway what I noticed was when I used the X 3.x.x style conf file it worked ! No snow or fuzz! So I kept on using my lovely looking Xfree.

However when I went to Slackware 9.0 my X life was shattered It did not give me as many configuration options for a laptop os madrake did! Now I am stuck on Links in the command prompt thhingo my X will start fine but It just looks shocking with the snow and the fuzz!

Anyone got any Ideas of what I could do or maybe even where I could get a more laptop friendly XF86Configurator ? I have already found a web site called Linux on Laptops but it didnt provide me with any answers! Ill keep lookin in the meantime

Thanks

rising_sun

Linux Guru
    It sounds as if the monitor settings are wrong.
    Try running XFree86 -configure, and then test the config file it generates (it gives you instructions on how to do that itself), and see if that also makes it snow.

Just Joined!
    Hmmmmmmm.

Well I tried that I got the commands out of 'man XFree86' It still looks pixally and Gnome is only displayed on half of the screen!

Would there be anyway to use the XF86Config script or whatever you would call it from the Mandrake CD ?

I would like to try and avoid reinstalling Mandrake just to get the XF86Config file ! Would that work if necessary ?

Sorry for all the n00b questions lol

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I don't think it would work using the XFree86 3.3 config format, since that is ages old, and your new distro most probably only ships with XFree86 4.x. If only you get it to work, XFree86 4.x is to prefer, since it's _much_ newer.
    Have you tried "xf86config" (lowercase letters)? That's the official configuration program from XFree86.

Just Joined!
    Yeah I tried the shell script one and the other one where it actually brings up an X window and you can configure it that way!

So stuck

I might have to read up and configure myself I hope not looks tricky dont even know if it will work!

Linux Enthusiast
    see if you have something that looks like this in your /etc/X11/XF86Config . If not, try using this section instead of the section that you have.
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	# no known options
    	Identifier   "Trident Cyber 9525 (generic)"
            Driver       "trident"
            VendorName   "Trident Cyber 9525 (generic)"
            BoardName     "Trident Cyber 9525 (generic)"
            ChipSet "CyberbladeXPm"
            #BusID
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    The chipset field seemed to cause me some problems!

(WW) TRIDENT: Chipset "CyberbladeXPm" in Device section "device1" isn't valid for this driver.

Also why do you have #BusID there ?

Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    in your /var/log/XFree86.0.log file you should see something along the lines of:
    Code:
    (II) TRIDENT: driver for Trident chipsets: tvga9000, tvga9000i, tvga8900c,
            tvga8900d, tvga9200cxr, tgui9400cxi, cyber9320, cyber9388, cyber9397,
            cyber9397dvd, cyber9520, cyber9525dvd, cyberblade/e4, tgui9420dgi,
            tgui9440agi, tgui9660, tgui9680, providia9682, providia9685,
            cyber9382, cyber9385, 3dimage975, 3dimage985, blade3d, cyberbladei7,
            cyberbladei7d, cyberbladei1, cyberbladei1d, cyberbladeAi1,
            cyberbladeAi1d, cyberbladeXPm/8, cyberbladeXPm/16, cyberbladeXPAi1
    Try any/all of these that look promising. If none of those work, just set the driver to vesa (it is a sort of fallback. It is slower, but it should work).

Also, I commented out BusID because I can't logically know which PCI bus your card is on. You can find out by running lspci -vv
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.