Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Since KDE 4.0.0 has been out for 12 days, have any of you tried it? Just curious what people think of it. I'll probably wait till 4.1 before I give ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Opinions on KDE4?

Since KDE 4.0.0 has been out for 12 days, have any of you tried it? Just curious what people think of it. I'll probably wait till 4.1 before I give it a whirl.
    Dan

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I've been using it on and off on openSUSE 10.3 since the release. Overall I've had a positive experience, but it still seems a little bit rough in places. I think many people are waiting until 4.1 because more apps will have been ported and there will be a little bit more polish.

oz
    forum.guy
    No, I'll be waiting for a future release. From all that I've read, there are just too many problems/complaints being reported so I'll wait until they stabilize it a bit.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    No, I'll be waiting for a future release. From all that I've read, there are just too many problems/complaints being reported so I'll wait until they stabilize it a bit.
    I've read both good and bad reviews. I prefer to try things out so that I reach my own conclusions and after trying KDE 4, I'd say its not as bad as some of the reviews say it is. This is not to say that there aren't any problems because there are many places where a bit more work is needed and there are some missing features. It reminds me of the transition from KDE 2.x to KDE 3.x and GNOME 1.x to GNOME 2.x. There were similar complaints then i.e. missing features, bugs etc, but they rapidly improved with time.

oz
    forum.guy
    Just the screenshots alone turn me off. Hopefully, it's still easy to change the desktop appearance because it's really ugly from what I've seen so far.
    oz

Just Joined!

It's not bad

I have been useing kde4 for 12 days and I like it.
    Last edited by pcxman; 01-24-2008 at 05:31 AM. Reason: because I cant spell or bad grammer lol

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Keeping off until 4.1.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

I didn't see this thread the first time around...I like a lot about KDE4 but I think it'll be 4.1 before I try using it full time again. I was always dedicated to KDe until Compiz came out. At the time it was easier to run with Gnome so I made the move temporarily. I am looking forward to getting back to KDE but at the moment it still feels slower than Gnome and oddly lacking some of the basic functions I use everyday in Gnome.

Remember when it was Gnome that was feature light

Anyway, I'm sure it's all part of the development. I'm looking forward to KDE's bright future. I read Aaron Seigo's blog regularly and Pinheiro and liquidat too. Also I visit dot.kde.org a few times a week to keep abreast of new developments so I look forward to the 4.1 release.

I played with the OpenSuSe LiveCD of KDE 4.0.1. They're doing some interesting things with it. I'll probably not use it until a major distribution ships with it (my guess is Fedora). Some of it I'm not too keen about, like those stupid widgets. Good grief, I didn't like them in OS X Dashboard, I liked them even less in Vista. Why must we crap up Linux with worthless window dressing like that?

But I digress. I'm interested to see where they go with it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Why must we crap up Linux with worthless window dressing like that?
    I agree completely, techieMoe. Just the KDE4 screenshots alone that I've seen totally turn me off to it. When I do migrate to KDE4, I seriously hope all that crud can be easily removed, not merely disabled.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast