Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've got a problem starting the X Server. The error message I get is: no screens found. Unfortunately, the documentation is really unhelpful saying: This is a very general ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problem starting the X Server

Hi,

I've got a problem starting the X Server. The error message I get is: no screens found. Unfortunately, the documentation is really unhelpful saying:

This is a very general message telling you that something went wrong and there is no screen left which the server can successfully drive. Usually you'll see another error message describing what went wrong in more detail.

All is says after this error message, however, is

giving up.
    xinit: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to x server
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

and then something saying permission denied (I am however logged in as root).

Please help! It seems strange!

Thanks,

Matt. I

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    What graphics card do you have on your system and what Linux distribution are you running?

Thanks very much for the reply!

I am running Slackware with a Asus GeForce 8600 GT 256MB GDDR3.

Thanks again!

Matt. I

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Try running xorgconfig and reconfiguring your graphics card as a generic nvidia card. If that works, and you can start X go to the nvidia website, then download and install the official nvidia driver.

Thanks for the reply! I've just tried this and it didn't work I selected a generic nVidia card from the database but all is said was no screens found again. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Matt. I

I'm betting a cookie there is a (small) faulty setting in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

It might be as small as a missing " somewhere. If the trouble is that it finds no screen, then probably your xorg.conf isn't pointing to the right device.

Try to start X from the textual environment:
    Code:
    startx 2> ~/startxerrorcode
    This'll put all error messages in a file called startxerrorcode in your home directory. It'll be more elaborate than the output on your screen.

Post the contents of ~/startxerrorcode here. And put the /etc/X11/xorg.conf here as well, while you're at it
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Hi guys!

Thanks very much for your help and your long and detailed replies - I really appreciate it!

I was doing some reading around the topic and tried xorgsetup - and then it worked!

Thanks very, very much!

Matt. I