Find the answer to your Linux question:
So what its come down to is that even though I have my own linux biases, I've been doing a lot of distro-hopping recently. Its made me wonder, if I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

question about xorg.conf

So what its come down to is that even though I have my own linux biases, I've been doing a lot of distro-hopping recently. Its made me wonder, if I get xorg.conf set up PERFECTLY (im doing dual head monitors, two sepearte desktops, and I want as many bells and whistles as possible) in one distro, does that mean it will work in another distro that uses xorg.cof?

To rephrase my question more simply, "If I get disto X to set up my xorg.conf perfectly, could I overwrite xorg.conf on distro Y and the config work whenever I boot into that distro?"

Thanks

Miesnerd

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by miesnerd View Post
    So what its come down to is that even though I have my own linux biases, I've been doing a lot of distro-hopping recently. Its made me wonder, if I get xorg.conf set up PERFECTLY (im doing dual head monitors, two sepearte desktops, and I want as many bells and whistles as possible) in one distro, does that mean it will work in another distro that uses xorg.cof?

To rephrase my question more simply, "If I get disto X to set up my xorg.conf perfectly, could I overwrite xorg.conf on distro Y and the config work whenever I boot into that distro?"

Thanks

Miesnerd
    Yes. As long as it's xorg, not xfree. And you have installed all the needed:

1.- fonts
    2.- drivers

in both distros. Note that, since Xorg is now modular, installing it doesn't mean you have all the drivers just like it used to happen on 6.9 and below. However, this is something easy to figure out and should not be a big problem.

You should be able to use xorg.conf of one distro in another. Most of latest distros don't even have any data in xorg.conf file. Fedora and Ubuntu's xorg.conf files are empty in my machine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys. I d'ld about 3 distros that supposedly have good graphical tools for dualhead. We'll see what happens. Thanks for your replies!

You are Welcome and do let us know how it goes.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First