Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Partition structure looks good now. I have 80GB disk in my test machine too and I have installed Windows XP + 6 Linux distros in it. Partition structure of my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Partition structure looks good now. I have 80GB disk in my test machine too and I have installed Windows XP + 6 Linux distros in it.
    Partition structure of my disk is:
    sda1 NTFS 15GB
    sda2 NTFS 15GB DATA ( its to share file between all OSes )
    sda3 --- Extended Partition
    sda5 --- SWAP 512MB
    sda6 --- Debian 8GB

sda7,8,9 and more for other Linux distros.
    Partition structure depends on you only. I am not suggesting to follow my way.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    haha, insane 7 distros.. lol. I actually kinda did the same thing on my main machine. I just used "VirtualBox" instead, so no partitioning or anything and I can still mess around with other OS's. Yeah I looked up a article about Linux Partitioning and understand it better now. ext3 is like the main hdd, OS goes there. it will eb your "/" root. swap is like virtual memory . and if you want can make a /home for personal files. so now that I understand that its easier haha. Thanks for all the help. Its on 95% as I speak so lets see if I can log in now or not.

Lets hopes for the best ! Good Luck !

Just Joined!
    Ok, im logged in so yep, it was a simple easy mistake. So now lets see if I can figure out how to install the visual goodies .

A few things that I do on Fresh installation of Kubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean all
    sudp apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install firefox synaptic
    I prefer Synaptic Package Manger over Adept and FireFox over Konqueror.
    Add an entry of kcontrol ( Control Center ) in Menu too.

Just Joined!
    hmm I'm a complete noob when it comes to linux.. I just clicked "Request Install on "Compiz" and I didn't see Ubuntu Restricted Driver. I do see "Ubuntu-restricted-extras is that it? Alos does it matter which order they are installed?

Yes I'm also a Firefox fan. On Windows or Linux doesn't matter Firefox is the one haha. Also thanks for the fresh install tips. I'm upgrading Dist-upgrade atm. I'm not sure what Synaptic is. so not sure on that lol.

It doesn't matter which command you execute first because Package Manger takes care of dependencies. Follow instructions from here to enable Compiz.

* Its 12:25AM here and I wont be able to online for next 8 hrs. I will definitely check this thread tomoro.

Just Joined!
    hmm well for your morning question I guess is, how in the world do I install my nvidia driver? I downloaded it off of NVIDIA's website.. and ive looked all over the place and none of the methods worked.. or made sense..

Also read how to activate compviz.. but didn't make sense... I did however find how to enable transparency for toollbar and windows.

Just Joined!
    Well, I'm gonna try to get my video driver installed today, and gonna try to figure out how to set me upa static IP and so that tis and my Windows XP pc see and share correctly. also gonna look at VNC for linux. Ultra VNC under WINE didn't work. I would connect using my XP pc and it would connect to the linux pc but would then just exit out. and Linux could connect to my XP pc, but would act funny. Gonna check out tight VNC or something. Hope I can get this all done today haha. really need driver.. scrolling in forum is pretty choppy.. atm.. lol.

Just Joined!
    ok, Installed ENVY, it downloaded driver, my display didn't work, its liekt eh screen refresh rate was to high, I ctrl+alt+f1, typed
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/x11/xorg.conf
    took the refresh rate and verticle sync and bitrate all down. Worked but now screen resolution was 800x600. I couldn't figure out how to increase it.
    Code:
    Displayconfig
    didn't have the option. I went into the NVIDIA Settings place, didn't have it either. So I uninstalled the driver. Now Kubuntu starts up like normal but right before the login screen now.. its all just the black screen and text... what do I do to launch back the GUI KDE..?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast