Find the answer to your Linux question:
On my KDE desktop (or in the panel, or somewhere, it doesn't matter much) I'd like to create my own menu where I can put links to apps, web pages, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating my own desktop menu in KDE?

On my KDE desktop (or in the panel, or somewhere, it doesn't matter much) I'd like to create my own menu where I can put links to apps, web pages, etc., etc.

The point is, I want a lightweight menu where I control the contents myself (hence not the increasingly bloated main KDE menu that gets written to by everything you install).

Can anything like that be done? I've looked for a "menu applet" for the panel (which seemed to be the obvious solution), but it seems you can only get a copy of the main KDE menu that way.

Thanks.

The point is, I want a lightweight menu where I control the contents myself (hence not the increasingly bloated main KDE menu that gets written to by everything you install).
    I was a little confused by this comment since you can in fact edit the kde menu. Try right clicking on an item --> edit menu. If for any reason that option isn't there, go to the Kde control center, then Desktop, then Panels. Under the Menus tab there will be something like "Edit K Menu". From there you can also edit what types of additional links you want.

If just editing your KDE menu is not enough and you are looking for a more lightweight solution then you may want to switch window managers. There are plenty of window managers out there with smaller footprints. I like fluxbox when I'm not using KDE.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Just Joined!

Hmm..

I guess that probably means "no" then (I know you can edit the KDE menu but there's already too much stuff in it).

Let me give an example, of what I want. I have half a dozen icons on my desktop that link to various weather sites by running firefox. They're there because when I want to check the weather I'm usually off out (thinking about something else) and it's good to have very simple one-click access to the info.

But six icons takes up too much real estate. So why not a single icon (with a picture of a cloud) that I can click to get a drop-down menu and then select which weather site I want? Maybe if I double click the icon I get the default weather site. Failing an icon, an applet in the panel would do.

(However, a konqueror favorites list isn't what I'm after. First I don't use konqueror and second I may want to run an app instead of visiting a web site.)

Get the idea?

Now, I'm not that motivated by this that I'd change my window manager, so can I get anything approximating to that in KDE?

Here is one solution, and feel free to dislike it. You add a submenu to your KDE menu. In that menu you can put your six links, but you just have them all linked through firefox
    e.g.
    Code:
      firefox http://www.noaa.gov/
    This will open the links in firefox and keep them all contained within one submenu, unlike the konqueror favorites which takes up more space. The one thing it is missing from your description is the extra click on the submenu giving the top choice.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Quote Originally Posted by plus one View Post
    On my KDE desktop (or in the panel, or somewhere, it doesn't matter much) I'd like to create my own menu where I can put links to apps, web pages, etc., etc.
    Thanks.
    Let me give an example, of what I want. I have half a dozen icons on my desktop that link to various weather sites by running firefox. They're there because when I want to check the weather I'm usually off out (thinking about something else) and it's good to have very simple one-click access to the info.

But six icons takes up too much real estate. So why not a single icon (with a picture of a cloud) that I can click to get a drop-down menu and then select which weather site I want? Maybe if I double click the icon I get the default weather site. Failing an icon, an applet in the panel would do.
    I thought applet panel quick launcher might do what you want. For the desktop shortcuts why not just create a folder on the desktop and drag the shortcuts into it?

I'm in broadcast radio. It is often necessary for me to be no more than a few moments away from radar info and hazardous weather alerts. Just this past Tuesday night, the National Weather Service issued tornado warnings for our area. All the pages I need to assess the situation are bookmarked at the very top of my Firefox menu. From the time I click on the Firefox button on my taskbar to viewing the page I want takes maybe five or ten seconds. Would that not work for you?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Thanks but not quite

Many thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I've tried them all out but somehow they're just not quite slick enough to satisfy. Still, at least I've learned that I'm not overlooking an obvious solution.

Also, I think I've identified the main problem. When designing a GUI, I'm used to assembling components (menus, combo-boxes, etc.) to make the whole interface behave the way I want. I guess what I'm really missing is the ability to tailor KDE in the same way. Maybe if it was written in tcl or python, that'd be easy, but...

Never mind, I guess I'll get over it.

Linux Guru
    Many thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I've tried them all out but somehow they're just not quite slick enough to satisfy. Still, at least I've learned that I'm not overlooking an obvious solution.

Also, I think I've identified the main problem. When designing a GUI, I'm used to assembling components (menus, combo-boxes, etc.) to make the whole interface behave the way I want. I guess what I'm really missing is the ability to tailor KDE in the same way. Maybe if it was written in tcl or python, that'd be easy, but...

Never mind, I guess I'll get over it.
    As someone suggested, you can try to use a different wm under kde. Kde read the $KDEWM var if present when starting. And if it does contain something and it's executable, then that is used as the kdewm.

For example: if you use startx to start your X session, then ~/.xinitrc will be read. Using something like this:

Code:
    KDEWM=fvwm startkde
    Will make it so that kde inits using fvwm as its window manager when you use "startx". Of course, you will need to configure fvwm (including all the menus by hand). You can use any wm that you like (fluxbox, openbox, window maker...). Some of them might work better than others with kde. You will need to configure them separately in any case. Including bindings, menus...

Linux User
    Just an idea, you could create your own menu using a .desktop file, and put it where all the other context menus are. Set up this file so it becomes part of the standard right click menu, and when you right click on your desktop one of the options would be 'my menu' (or whatever), which would contain all the links and applications you want.

No idea how to do it, as I haven't touched desktop files or KDE in months... but it's certainly possible.

Just Joined!
    I know this is an old thread, but I use what I think is very much like what the OP was looking to do, the only difference being it sits on your panel rather than as a desktop icon, so I thought I'd post it in case anyone else may find it useful

I came across the thread when looking for info on how to recreate it for every user's desktop without having to go through the process of doing it 'by hand' in every desktop, I've had no luck whatsoever in doing that incidentally

Copying all the files across it creates across to another user's home doesn't work, I'm now thinking the .kde/share/config/kickerrc file may need some edits to make it display

But back to the point, this is how I created mine:

Use the kde menu editor to create a submenu calling it something suitable like My Menu

Add to this submenu any applets you want on it, mine are organised in subfolders like Media, Internet, Utilities etc

Once you have everything you'd like on it and organised it, right-click on it and click Add Menu to Main Panel

I've found this way to be a lot quicker and easier than editing the kmenu so everything I use regularly is easier to get at, and since creating it because it's so convenient I rarely use the kmenu itself