Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know what I need to do in order to copy and paste lines from konsole in KDE? For example, when I highlight a line and just paste in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

copy and paste konsole

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to copy and paste lines from konsole in KDE? For example, when I highlight a line and just paste in an editor like kate, the copied line pastes ltself. However, when I try to paste it onto a form such as this one here, it doesn't work. When I was using KDE3.0.5, it was working beautifully but ever since I degraded to KDE2.2, it's only pasting to KDE applications.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    You don't close the konsole window before you paste, right?

Just Joined!
    i am having the same problem. and yep i leave the window open.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer

yep

I keep the konsole open. It just lets me paste onto KDE applications only. I was able to paste things into Mozilla in v3.0.5. Maybe it's a KDE version enhancement. Then again, I'm thinking whatever you copy is saved into a cache under X instead of the cache of KDE.

Linux Guru
    Yes, that is what normal programs do. Sorry, but I use KDE very seldomly, so I can't really speak for it, especially not older versions. But I do know that most applications use the X clipboard.
    There is a simple method to see if they do: Copy something, then start an emacs and run M-x clipboard-yank RET.

Linux Engineer

Xclipboard

Dolda:
    Well, I do have Xclipboard and after reading some online docs about copying and pasting under x, theoretically whatever you highlight gets copied. So if I highlight something in the konsole, it's supposed to get copied. When I view the xclipboard, nothing is there. However, if I copy something in a web browser, I'd need to highlight and then press ctrl-c or use the mouse option to copy. Once that's done, then the copied text appears in the Xclipboard. So once again, I take it this must be a problem within KDE2.2.

ou_phidelt:
    What KDE version do you run?

Linux Guru
    I think that thing about selecting text to copy it mostly applies to Xt widgets. Qt (KDE uses Qt, right?) widgets probably require you to perform some special copy command, like Ctrl+C.
    Anyway, I guess the best (or only, mayhap?) way to find out is to simply download the source for Qt and check it out.