Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I am working on making my own linux OS. I have stripped down a robust version, down to a version with minimal apps. Now I was wondering how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking Customize my GUI

Hey guys, I am working on making my own linux OS. I have stripped down a robust version, down to a version with minimal apps. Now I was wondering how I would go about customizing KDE to the point where I could make it look like a template I have drawn up in PhotoShop

I am really just looking for a link to another topic in these forums, or a web based tutorial.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dantimols View Post
    Hey guys, I am working on making my own linux OS. I have stripped down a robust version, down to a version with minimal apps. Now I was wondering how I would go about customizing KDE to the point where I could make it look like a template I have drawn up in PhotoShop

I am really just looking for a link to another topic in these forums, or a web based tutorial.
    If you need to customize kde, you can do most things from kcontrol, the kde control panel. If you need additional karamba stuff, color sets, widget themes, window decorations, icons, or whatever, you should look into *Eyecandy for your KDE-Desktop - KDE-Look.org

If you plan to make your own window decos or widget theme, you need to know C++ and some bits about QT. There was a basic tutorial for kwin themes and kde styles here:

Advanced Theming Tutorial: Programming in *Style

But the links are broken. I never got into kde styles programming, so I can't really comment on anything. Anyway, if you are really interested, you can pick lots of styles fron kde-look.org and start hacking on them.

The rest is just creativity. Put the pieces together, pick some nice icons, wallpapers, etc and you have it. If you want to go further and design your own icon set, then that's going to take some time, even if you are an skilled graphist. It all depends on how complete you want to theme it.

Just Joined!
    Thank you sir. What I am trying to develop, with my team, is a PC with a Linux based operating system tailored towards elderly people. It will be touchscreen, with large icons, and no confusing startmenu to fuss through. The programs they need will be icons along a widget bar. They click on the icon, it pops right up. Just like a Mac.

Only basic web browsing, email, and web confrencing will be on this distro. Possibly a few games. My whole goal is to make these PC's afforadable, easy to use, and run right out of the box.

Any suggestions are welcome, and I will keep the forums updated on the cool, and innovative things our team is going to accomplish.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dantimols View Post
    Thank you sir. What I am trying to develop, with my team, is a PC with a Linux based operating system tailored towards elderly people. It will be touchscreen, with large icons, and no confusing startmenu to fuss through. The programs they need will be icons along a widget bar. They click on the icon, it pops right up. Just like a Mac.

Only basic web browsing, email, and web confrencing will be on this distro. Possibly a few games. My whole goal is to make these PC's afforadable, easy to use, and run right out of the box.

Any suggestions are welcome, and I will keep the forums updated on the cool, and innovative things our team is going to accomplish.
    While I deeply hate kicker (the kde panel), I think that it can suit your needs.

You just need to remove the k menu (it's just an applet, there's a dialog to remove and add those), and then add launchers for the few apps you need. From it's config dialog you can assign some background, choose the size and position of the taskbar and such.

There's always the possibility to tweak kde to rip off kicker and put instead a nicer bar, if you are worried about niceness or want some funky effects. However, most composite stuff is a bit green still, and I would go the stable way.