Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am trying to figure out A} how to get ALL menu items to show up on the Edit Menu Window & B} how do I put an item ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Edit XFCE *SUB* Menu Possible ?....

Hi

I am trying to figure out A} how to get ALL menu items to show up on the Edit Menu Window & B} how do I put an item in/ add an item to A specific place on the XFCE *SUB* Menu ?

EXAMPLE: Menu> Other> Compiz has no icon for Compiz. I'd like to add one. THIS ONE IS FIXED !

EXAMPLE #2: I'd like to move a few features to *SPECIFIC* places on the *SUB* menu. Synaptic, Thunar, Thunar Root, Compiz-Fusion, Terminal, Citadel & Run Programme are a few.

EXAMPLE #3: I'd like to move Items on the "OTHER* column to *SYSTEM* and have *OTHER* also show up on *EDIT MENU*

Please advise...

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, SA.com!

I really love XFCE and use it pretty often but one of the drawbacks for me has been the lack of any easy and fully workable method of editing/reworking the applications menu. I'm not certain, but I think you have to have a working xxx .desktop file in your /usr/share/applications folder for any app that you want to show up in the apps menu. You can open up one of your current .desktop files with a text editor to see how they are constructed.

Maybe someone that knows more will correct me if that's wrong, and perhaps they'll have more useful information that will help you.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Oz

Well. You said you did not know much about this one, however you managed to fix on problem I was having w/ Compiz-Fusion. So that is worth its weight in gold.

All I can say is thank you.

BTW: Just in case, the file you suggested was just a bunch of icons. It sure worked on one of the issues. I'm not sure if user/share/menu would be of any use or not since I'm after the sub menu.

You are right tho oz. XFCE is a darn good un !

Thank you again.

Partially solved.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Hey, glad that worked for you.

It's been awhile since I last had to manually add anything to the xfce menu, but I was thinking that's how I did it. Hopefully someone will reply soon with the steps needed to provide the rest of the solution.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    This is all found in /usr/share/menu. the term "section" defines where the desired app gets parked.

This is one I just made up and have not tested yet. Though I am sure it is 'off' somewhat, it is very close.

Anyone wishing to correct my errors, please do so.

Command= "/usr/bin/compiz"
    Icon="Compiz Fusion.png"

?package(Compiz Fusion):\
    needs="x11"\
    section="Apps/System"\
    hints="Settings"\
    title="Compiz Fusion"\
    longtitle="Compiz Fusion 3D Desktop Cube"\
    icon="/usr/share/icons/Ro_Dream/48x48/apps/Compiz Fusion"\
    command="/usr/bin/compiz"

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Hey, glad that worked for you.

It's been awhile since I last had to manually add anything to the xfce menu, but I was thinking that's how I did it. Hopefully someone will reply soon with the steps needed to provide the rest of the solution.
    Thank you Oz !

I appreciate your help.

I'm not actually using XFCE right now, but maybe the XFCE wiki might have some of the info you're lookin' for.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I'm not actually using XFCE right now, but maybe the XFCE wiki might have some of the info you're lookin' for.
    I never thought of that bro. Thanks for the tip.

Steve.