Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I decided 2 install blackbox on my computer (fedora through yum and that was cool, but i can't get to the internet when im in blackbox? it doesn't load ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Blackbox internet?

Hi

I decided 2 install blackbox on my computer (fedora through yum and that was cool, but i can't get to the internet when im in blackbox? it doesn't load web pages and can't connect to external networks Am i missing something?

cheers

tom

Linux Guru
    That really has nothing to do with blackbox or any other window manager. The way to connect to the internet is the same, regardless.

If you use a permanent conexion you just need your modem or network card configured to be able to reach the internet. If you use dialup, then you can use any dialer under any wm, or better, use a command line one like wvdial.

Since you don't provide any real info related to your connection, I can't be any more accurate. You should check the documentation for your distro in which regards network configuration. It really depends on your connection scheme and the distro you use, but not on blackbox.

sorry if i wasnt spesific enough, i simply thought that as i can get internet when running in gnome then maybe its just the windows manager. Anyway its a wired network (or ethernet) that seems to be automaticaly recognized, by gnome that is...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tom.b View Post
    sorry if i wasnt spesific enough, i simply thought that as i can get internet when running in gnome then maybe its just the windows manager. Anyway its a wired network (or ethernet) that seems to be automaticaly recognized, by gnome that is...
    Well, I can't think of a reason why it would work in gnome and not blackbox.

The net services should be fired at too time, before you reach X, unless your distro does something really weird. That's the way it's always been: network services are fired up when booting.

What distribution are you running? Did you configure your network by hand or using some kind of assistant or was it automatically configured by your distribution installer?

distrobution of what? umm, fedora 8 and the latest stable version of blackbox, i think? i just grabbed it from yum. The graphical installer for fedora asked about confighuring the network and i just left it at what it said and ive never had any problems with it. i was wondering if there was some command which would connect to the network or something that i could stick into terminal??

Linux Guru
    I know nothing about Fedora, so I can't be very specific (hopefully some fedora user around can step and help any better).

As far as I know, Fedora enables a dhcp client by default. That means that any network card connected to a dhcp server/router should be able to ask for an ip, and that should grant automatic acess to any network service.

This dhcp stuff is launched on bootup, so, unless fedora does something extremelly weird and launches it when entering gnome, there's absolutely no reason why you would get network on gnome, and not in blackbox.

Anyway, can you launch these two commands as root on a terminal and post the output here?

Code:
    $ ifconfig
    $ /sbin/service --status-all

I'm still in the noob phase, too. But Fedora does, indeed, launch it's dhcp client at boot-up. I've never used blackbox, but that shouldn't matter. The only thing I can come up with is: Do you have your network device set to activate on boot?

Sorry if this isn't much help.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

i92: are you sure the first code works?

anyway the second 1:

[tom@localhost ~]$ /sbin/service --status-all
    anacron (pid 1957) is running...
    atd (pid 1807) is running...
    auditd (pid 1526) is running...
    automount (pid 1561) is running...
    Failed to open PID file: Permission denied
    Avahi daemon is not running
    hcid (pid 157 is running...
    btseed is stopped
    bttrack is stopped
    capi not installed - No such file or directory (2)
    console-kit-daemon (pid 1674) is running...
    cpuspeed is stopped
    crond (pid 1694) is running...
    cupsd (pid 1609) is running...
    cups-config-daemon is obsolete
    dund is stopped
    Usage: /etc/init.d/firstboot {start|stop}
    Checking fuse filesystem ok.
    gpm is stopped
    hald (pid 1844) is running...
    hddtemp is stopped
    Only 'root' may use this init script
    httpd is stopped
    /etc/init.d/ip6tables: line 49: /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables-config: Permission denied
    iptables: Firewall is not running.
    irattach is stopped
    mcstransd is stopped
    mdadm is stopped
    dbus-daemon (pid 2233 1542) is running...
    multipathd is stopped
    nasd (pid 1665) is running...
    netconsole module not loaded
    netplugd is stopped
    Configured devices:
    lo eth0
    Currently active devices:
    lo eth0
    NetworkManager (pid 1934) is running...
    NetworkManagerDispatcher is stopped
    rpc.mountd is stopped
    nfsd is stopped
    rpc.rquotad is stopped
    rpc.statd (pid 1415) is running...
    nscd is stopped
    ntpd (pid 1641 1624) is running...
    nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.24.3-50.fc8 was found.
    The driver is enabled.
    pand is stopped
    Process accounting is disabled.
    rdisc is stopped
    rpcbind (pid 1396) is running...
    rpc.idmapd (pid 1451) is running...
    rsyslogd (pid 150 is running...
    rklogd (pid 1512) is running...
    saslauthd is stopped
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: line 161: /var/run/sendmail.pid: Permission denied
    sendmail/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: line 161: /var/run/sendmail.pid: Permission denied
    dead but pid file exists
    sm-client (pid 1654) is running...
    setroubleshootd is stopped
    smartd (pid 2034) is running...
    Monthly smolt check-in is enabled.
    snmpd is stopped
    snmptrapd is stopped
    spamd is stopped
    sshd is stopped
    Usage: /etc/init.d/udev-post {start}
    Xvnc is stopped
    Wine binary format handlers are registered.
    wpa_supplicant (pid 2132) is running...
    xfs (pid 1799) is running...
    ypbind is stopped
    yum-updatesd (pid 2083) is running...

but thats from gnome, and ive also discovered that if i log into gnome and, leaving it logged in, then start blackbox as a different user the internet works, but then when i log out of gnome the internet stops on blackbox

jay: im not sure bout that (but thanks 4 your help) maybe the network device thingy only starts when gnome starts and so doesnt connect in blackbox??

I would imagine you are using Network Manager and the applet is loading to allow you to connnect. Try running nm-applet and seeing your status.

ok, i tried running it in gnome and it did this??

[tom@localhost ~]$ nm-applet

** (nm-applet:8527): WARNING **: <WARN> applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service as it is already taken. Return: 3

(nm-applet:8527): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_destroy: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:8527): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(nm-applet:8527): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

??

and when i tried it in blackbox it just sat their thinking bout something but not coming up with any info or anything does that mean its not running in blackbox and needs to be started? just guessing.

thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast