Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Excellent! If you can picture somebody rubbing their hands together in anticipation of something... that would be me waiting to get home to give this a shot! But before anything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Excellent! If you can picture somebody rubbing their hands together in anticipation of something... that would be me waiting to get home to give this a shot!
    But before anything else, I really need to say Thanks, Dan! This is great stuff you gave me.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Anytime! I drool at the opportunity to assist someone with IceWM and Crux... Just ask if I can help with anything.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Makin' some progress here. But I don't know exactly which setting controls my Screen Resolution. I tried a couple of options (even some that I didn't know what the heck they were). Mainly I would like to have a font that I don't have to squint at, and maybe get my background picture to not look like a blob of... whatever this is

Any hints?

*EDIT*

Got the Screen resolution hammered down. Still trying to fix the background picture.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you look in .icewm/preferences, you will see this line near the bottom:
    Code:
    #  Desktop background scaled to full screen
      DesktopBackgroundScaled=0 # 0/1
    Play with that, and see if you can get it scaled correctly. For instance, I run resolution 1024x768. Consequently, whatever image I use, I scale it to that same resolution. There are other ways, but this seems to be the simplest solution for me. You'll have to run icewmbg after changing this too.

Here's a portion of what I have in my menu under "Utilities." This is just an easy way fro me to make desktop changes...
    Code:
     prog Menu menu konsole --noclose -e joe .icewm/menu
     prog Preferences pref kate .icewm/preferences
     prog Toolbar tb konsole --noclose -e joe .icewm/toolbar
     prog Desktop icewmbg /usr/local/bin/icewmbg
    I use the "joe" editor from the command line, but you could use gedit too. Just change "joe" to "gedit" in the above entries. This should work for you...
    Code:
     prog Menu menu gedit .icewm/menu
     prog Preferences pref gedit .icewm/preferences
     prog Toolbar toolbar gedit .icewm/toolbar
     prog Desktop icewmbg icewmbg
    That way you can click on them from your menu without having to go to a terminal and typing in the commands every time.

I can't wait to see how your desktop looks when you're finished with it! Be sure and post a screenshot for us.

EDIT: There are also utilities you can use to edit your IceWM desktop. I've tried most of them and the results vary. You might want to try them. More on those:

IceCC
    IcePref2

To me though, it's just so easy to edit the configuration files, I don't bother with any of them.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 04-06-2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Talking Woo-Hoo!!!

I still got a lot of tweaking to do before I call it complete, but I got a working Desktop!

Dan, you really hooked me up... so this is for you:

Look for my Screenshot in the Coffee Lounge!

Thanks again, Dan. That was a hook-up in a big way!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Solved (mostly)

I'll go ahead and mark this one as solved. Thanks again, Dan! You're help was very much appreciated. Now I got a problem with screen resolution. It went to a huge font after I logged out and back in. But there are several threads available to help me on this, so I'll utilize those.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2