Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Okay... So I got IceWM installed, posting from it now in fact. But I'm having some problems getting it customized in any way. I found the preferences file in my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Lost in IceWM

Okay... So I got IceWM installed, posting from it now in fact. But I'm having some problems getting it customized in any way. I found the preferences file in my /usr/share/icewm directory. I decided to start small with it, figured I would go for a desktop background and such. Added the files for the image, removed the hash mark to enable it. Logged out, logged back in... no changes.
    I also tried to add Firefox to the menu bar as a program, that didn't go over to well either. I was already hooked up with a link to get me started on it, but I must be goofing somewhere.
    Anybody wanna throw a few suggestions my way?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've always found the IceWM Manual and their HowTos and FAQ to be good sources for information. Have you tried those already?

Dapper Dan uses IceWM quite a bit, so I'm sure he'll be in here with some added clues.
    oz

Hi jayd512, saw your post on the screenshots thread and thanks! I just haven't got to the point of responding to you in a thoughtful and considered way but I was going to. Hang on, I'll have a lot of good info for you shortly.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    jayd512, which distro are you running? I think I remember Slackware? If you haven't already, download and install icewm-themes. (This is for Slackware 9.1 but will still work). After the themes are installed, you should be able to choose from them in your IceWM menu.

Look in your home directory and see if you have a hidden configuration directory called:
    Code:
    .icewm
    If so, cd into it, do ls and see if you have the following files:
    Code:
    menu  preferences  taskbar  theme  toolbar
    If they are there that's good! If not, do below: (Since I don't know your home directory's name, I'll use "jayd512")

Code:
    cp -r /usr/local/icewm /home/jayd512
    Code:
    mv icewm .icewm
    Code:
    chown -R jayd512:users .icewm
    Now you should have a functioning .icewm in your home directory. Time to configure!

Editing background

It's just easier to scale your desired background image to the same size as your resolution. Then open the preferences file with your favourite editor as regular user:
    Code:
    kate .icewm/preferences
    Scroll to the bottom of the file and look for:
    Code:
    #  Desktop background image
    # DesktopBackgroundImage=""
    Put the path to your desired background image inside the quotes. and uncomment that line. Here's mine as a reference:
    Code:
    #  Desktop background image
    DesktopBackgroundImage="/home/dapper/treebluesky.jpg"

#  Color to announce for semi-transparent windows
    # DesktopTransparencyColor=""

#  Image to announce for semi-transparent windows
    # DesktopTransparencyImage=""
    To make the image take effect, run:
    Code:
    icewmbg
    The image will load thereafter when you boot into IceWM from kdm.

Editing Menu

Again, using your favourite editor:
    Code:
    kate .icewm/menu
    For your apps and programs, start with "prog." The second entry is where the name of the program goes, followed by the path to the icon you prefer (I don't use this, but something needs to be here), and lastly, the command itself. Here's a portion of mine:
    Code:
    prog Konsole konsole konsole
    prog Oldhome oldhome konqueror /mnt/hda11/dapper
    prog Xchat xchat xchat
    prog VirtualBox virtualbox VirtualBox
    prog konqueror konqueror konqueror /home/dapper
    prog OpenOffice stock_openoffice.png soffice -writer
    prog Cedega cedega cedega
    prog GTK-Gnutella GTK gtk-gnutella
    prog Totem totem totem 
    prog Xmms icon xmms
    Save and exit. Items should now appear in your menu.

Editing Toolbar

Edit the same way:
    Code:
    kate .icewm/toolbar
    I DO use icons here. If you don't use them, it will use the name you've given the app. Here's a portion of mine:
    Code:
    prog Evolution /mnt/hda14/opt/kde/share/icons/crystalsvg/48x48/apps/evolution.png evolution-2.6
    prog Firefox /mnt/hda14/opt/kde/share/icons/crystalsvg/48x48/apps/firefox.png firefox
    prog konqueror /mnt/hda14/opt/kde/share/icons/crystalsvg/48x48/apps/konqueror.png konqueror /home/dapper
    prog OpenOffice /mnt/hda14/usr/share/icons/Rodent/48x48/apps/ooo_writer.png soffice -writer
    Log out of X and back in to see your new toolbar buttons.

Hope this helps some...
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 08-20-2009 at 01:40 AM.

Talking

Hi guys!

Oz, actually, I have the info pages for IceWM that you mentioned bookmarked I got a lot of use out of them and managed to find and edit some of the necessary files. I ran into trouble when I tried to put my changes into effect.

Dan, this is an awesome amount of info! Thanks a bunch! I'm at work posting right now, so I'll have to wait to try it when I get home tonight. The only thing that might make a difference is this... I botched a few things in slack, so I went back to Fedora 7 for the time being. Will all this info still work for me? Or do I need to make a few changes as far as the syntax of the commands?

Thanks again, Dan!
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Everything should get installed to the same place(s) although I'd try to find an RPM version of icewm-themes and install that instead. Is IceWM listed as a sessions choice in gdm?

I installed IceWM using yum, and it got placed in my /usr/share directory. And it is listed as a session choice. In fact, I can get logged in to IceWM without a problem.

And this might help some:

Code:
    cd /usr/share/icewm
    ls -a
    . .. menu  preferences  taskbar  theme  toolbar
    Like I said, I'm at work right now, so I won't be able to execute anything yet.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Looking good! The reason I asked is because when I was using Red Hat 9, you had to edit files to make IceWM appear as a sessions choice in gdm. In .icewm/preferences, you might just want to look through all the hundreds of ways you can configure your desktop. I don't fool with most of it, but there is a whole lot available to configure there.

Looks great, Dan! I'll give this a shot and report back on how it goes. Before I do though, i just wanna make sure I did the menu options correctly. if I happen to use an icon (whether for the menu or the taskbar), is the path to these icons typically part of the IceWM directory? Or are they stored in the directory with the app 9i.e. mozilla directory for the Firefox icon)?
    Jay

New Member FAQ

I'm a sucker for doing everything easy... What I do is just do a "locate" on the app's icon. For instance, if I wanted the firefox icon on the taskbar, I'd first locate it...
    Code:
    locate firefox.png
    Which would return:
    Code:
    /usr/ports/opt/firefox/firefox.png
    /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/firefox.png
    /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/firefox.png
    /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/48x48/apps/firefox.png
    /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png
    Choose one, then copy the path and add it into the toolbar configuration for that app:
    Code:
    prog Firefox /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/48x48/apps/firefox.png firefox
    The app's name plus ".png" will usually turn up a choice of icons.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 04-05-2008 at 03:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast