Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm installing debian in a very minimal way, without the initial installation of a "desktop", but instead installing fluxbox manually from the command line, more or less as suggested here ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Is really all that required for konqueror?

I'm installing debian in a very minimal way, without the initial installation of a "desktop", but instead installing fluxbox manually from the command line, more or less as suggested here.

I decided to install konqueror too. I knew it would require some KDE stuff, but I thought it would be only a few packages, I recall reading that only two were needed (but it may be outdated). With "apt-get install konqueror", all that got installed:

Code:
    eject hicolor-icon-theme kcontrol kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-kio-plugins
      kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdesktop kfind kicker libart-2.0-2 libarts1c2a libaspell15
      libaudio2 libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libavahi-qt3-1
      libcupsys2 libdbus-1-3 libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libfam0 libhal-storage1 libhal1
      libjasper-1.701-1 libkonq4 liblcms1 liblua50 liblualib50 libmad0 libmng1
      libopenexr2c2a libqt3-mt libraw1394-8 libsasl2-modules libsmbclient libvorbisenc2
      libxcomposite1 libxslt1.1 libxxf86misc1 menu-xdg
    While I don't mind kcontrol, there's even kicker and kdesktop. The other things are just obscure things that I can't really rant about.

Are all these things, specially kicker and kdesktop, really dependencies of konqueror, or a sort of "emphatic" suggestion of apt-get?

oz
    forum.guy
    Yes, as well as being a web browser, Konqueror is the KDE file manager that all of KDE revolves around so you'll have lots of dependencies if you want to install Konqueror.

I'd suggest looking at pcmanfm or rox filer for your file manager, instead. Pcmanfm is really a nice little file manager with not too many dependencies.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the suggestion, and for the explanation.

I almost only use konqueror as a filemanager, so futurely I'll try pcmanfm, as it conflicts with konqueror, which I installed already (libfam0, one needs it, the other has to remove it).

I'll just configure everything as I like, learn how to do a ghost-like backup of the root partition, so then I can make all sorts of experiments and have everything quickly restored without hassle.

My problem isn't exactly lack of space, as it may look like by the link I gave, but I just don't use KDE or gnome "directly" (only programs that actually need their libraries) and I simply don't like having unnecessary things.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by the dsc View Post
    I'll just configure everything as I like, learn how to do a ghost-like backup of the root partition, so then I can make all sorts of experiments and have everything quickly restored without hassle.
    That's exactly what I do and it works quite well.

Have fun with Linux!
    oz

I think the dependencies for krusader will be less the konqueror, but it should play nice with konqueror so you should be able to give it a try with the current install if you have not used it already.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Yes, as well as being a web browser, Konqueror is the KDE file manager that all of KDE revolves around so you'll have lots of dependencies if you want to install Konqueror.

I'd suggest looking at pcmanfm or rox filer for your file manager, instead. Pcmanfm is really a nice little file manager with not too many dependencies.
    Sorry but, no.

It's an issue with the distro having limited package management capabilities (mostly, common to all the so-called binary distros). Konqueror itself doesn't *forcingly* require that much stuff. But binary distros usually ships *everything*, just in case you need it.

eject
    This should be part of the basic system anyway. I wonder why it isn't in your distro.

hicolor-icon-theme
    All the icons that kde require are in kdelibs. This is not needed by kde.

kcontrol
    I think I remind that some kcontrol headers were needed to compile all the stuff in kdebase, including konqueror. Not sure though. Kcontrol is one of the worst things when it comes to interacting with the rest of the pieces in kdebase.

kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-kio-plugins
    It depends on what do those packages ship. The io-slaves are needed to have a functional konqueror. The rest, might be more crap, or useful stuff. I can't know.

kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a
    Kdelibs. Needed.

kdesktop kfind kicker libart-2.0-2 libarts1c2a
    Not needed. Kdesktop and kicker shouldn't even be on the dependency graph, but maybe they are not pulled by konqueror itself, but by any other of the silly packages that have been pulled. Like...

Arts, that can be completely disabled at compile time, and I haven't had it on my system since kde-3.1 (which is the first 3.x version I used). It's idiotic to have it enabled, because there is absolutely nothing that arts do and alsa alone can't do (tip: dmix is enabled by default now). It just adds another -redundant- layer on top of alsa, wasting some cpu power in the way. It's not even needed for system notification sounds since 3.5.

Kfind is not needed, though I think it also installs a kio-slave, maybe that's why they decided that it should be installed with konqueror.

libaspell15
    This is for spelling correction. It can be disabled at compile time, but you probably don't want to do that.

libaudio2
    I don't know what this in in your distro. If it's a kde part and not a dep, then it might have something to do with arts.

libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libavahi-qt3-1
    libcupsys2 libdbus-1-3 libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libfam0 libhal-storage1 libhal1
    libjasper-1.701-1 libkonq4 liblcms1 liblua50 liblualib50 libmad0 libmng1
    libopenexr2c2a libqt3-mt libraw1394-8 libsasl2-modules libsmbclient libvorbisenc2
    libxcomposite1 libxslt1.1 libxxf86misc1 menu-xdg[/code]
    I think avahi can be disabled, at compile time, not sure. Cups can be disabled (removing support for printers), jasper can be disabled (removing support for jpeg2000 which almost no one needs for anything). Hal and dbus are good things to have, and you need them for hardware notification. Openexr can be disabled. And the samba and vorbis support can also be disabled.

The compositing support can be disabled.

As you see, it's not kde. It's your distro that assumes you need everything, and so, installs everything. Nothing wrong with that, but if you don't like when people make choices for you, then probably you are not using the right distro.

To get the degree of customizability that I explain in this post, you need to use a distro that compiles everything for source, because it's at that stage when you can disable those optional components (and by disabling extra features, you also cut down dependencies).

One thing is for sure: you are out of luck, unless you change distro or compile kde yourself disabling all the stuff you don't need.

One distro that can handle all of this natively via it's package manager is Gentoo. In case you are interested.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by the dsc View Post
    Are all these things, specially kicker and kdesktop, really dependencies of konqueror, or a sort of "emphatic" suggestion of apt-get?
    the dsc, for your comparison, here's what Arch pulls up for dependencies if I should try to install Konqueror (kdebase) on an all Gnome setup:

Code:
    # pacman -S kdebase
    resolving dependencies...
    looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets: kde-common-3.5.9-1  qt3-3.3.8-7  arts-1.5.9-1  libxslt-1.1.22-1  
             freeglut-2.4.0-3  jasper-1.900.1-1  libidn-1.0-1  kdelibs-3.5.9-2  
             lm_sensors-3.0.1-1  mtools-3.9.11-1  postgresql-libs-8.2.6-1  
             libmysqlclient-5.0.51-2  cyrus-sasl-plugins-2.1.22-6  
             cyrus-sasl-2.1.22-8  pmount-0.9.13-4  dbus-qt3-0.62-3  
             kdebase-3.5.9-1  

Total Download Size:    66.41 MB
    Konqueror is a fantastic file manager but I think something else would work better for you if you want to keep your machine in minimal mode. The imaging of your drives like you stated above is a great way to experiment heavily without paying a heavy price, time-wise.

Good luck with it, and keep having fun!
    oz