Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I'm kinda new to linux (altough I tried about ten times before, no luck). I usually get Linux installed, no problems running it. I then want to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nvidia drivers hopeless?

Hi there, I'm kinda new to linux (altough I tried about ten times before, no luck).
    I usually get Linux installed, no problems running it. I then want to install Nvidia drivers, I got a Club3D 8800 GTS 640 mb. But everytime i try to install them (tried multiple guides, tried Suse Linux, Ubuntu) it doesn't work. My xserver just wont start or it blocks at the login screen. I'm writing this on my windows partition. Pls help me

Have you tried this guide?

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-drivers.html

If so, at what step are you having trouble? Also, what distribution are you currently using?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

What distro do you have at the moment and what methods have you tried up to now?
    I usually find it better to use the Nvidia site drivers and follow the instructions for compiling them into the kernel.
    It's fairly straight forward (at least it is with opensuse) and you need the kernel-source and gcc.
    Pete

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, hyperion!

Support for the nvidia 8800 series cards just started showing up in December of last year (four months ago), so if you tried before that, you should have better luck now.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I've been using the scripted installer, the 1 click install button from Nvidia, several guides that used the packet manager. My problem is that it's stuck at the login screen, no HDD activity and i cant move my mouse. I've tried it In february the last time with Ubuntu 7.10

I would try again with Ubuntu 7.10 (or wait a week and use Ubuntu 8.04). The "Restricted Drivers Manager" should pop up after you install and ask if you'd like it to install the proper drivers for you. You'll need an active internet connection for that. If that doesn't work (because the version of the driver may not be the newest, which is what you need for the 8800 series) then try the method I linked to.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants