Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have seen that when I'm starting up my machine, the net download amount is rising up to 12 Mb within 4-5 min, though I'm not opening the browser. What ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy [SOLVED] eating bandwidth after start up

I have seen that when I'm starting up my machine, the net download amount is rising up to 12 Mb within 4-5 min, though I'm not opening the browser. What might be the reason behind it? Is it the fedora update is searching and preparing its daily update list or something else?
    This might be a relevant info(thinking about that update thing), that I log on to fedora not more than twice a week.
    Imran
    Linux User #467555 | Debian Squeeze | Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 4500 @ 2.20GHz | Gigabyte GA-G41MT-ES2L
    | 2 GB RAM | 320 GB SATA | Kernel: 2.6.32-5-686

You might try opening a command line and typing 'top'. Observing the output from that for a while should let you know which system processes are running... a good clue to what is happening on your system.

Then - if you see that something is running rather a lot - you could Google the name of that process/program and see what it is.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

By seing the top output I found out that yum update is the culprit, as I've guessed before. Thanks Fingal. Then by opening chkconfig --list I found out the daemon.

Now my question is how to stop the daemon? I tried with
    $ yum-updatesd 0
    Then that process was not showing in top, but i'm not sure whether this is the right process to kill a daemon. And, how I can manually start the daemon?

Thanks
    Imran
    Linux User #467555 | Debian Squeeze | Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 4500 @ 2.20GHz | Gigabyte GA-G41MT-ES2L

Oh, I got that.

To stop that,

$chkconfig <name> off

To add that,

$chkconfig --add <name>
    Imran

This thread can be marked as [SOLVED].

Thanks