Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello guys and gals! I somehow like these 'best of' types of threads. So, what is by your opinion the best desktop linux distro that is easy to install and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The best desktop-oriented, easy to use linux distro?

Hello guys and gals!

I somehow like these 'best of' types of threads.

So, what is by your opinion the best desktop linux distro that is easy to install and use, fast, stable and simply 'desktop ready'?

Many distro developers today seem to claim that their's is THE desktop system. However, if you'd have been asked to choose one of them as ultimate, what would it be?

Linux Engineer
    i would suggest suse..although search in distrowatch.com for more details about the distros available!
    Linux For Ever!

its a personal decison, but if you want fast, look at yoper, its the fastest OS made today,(but only avilable for the i686) reguardless, boots graphicaly so you will always have a GUI. But its all a matter of personal opinion, I would say gentoo, because it is amazing and wonderful, and i love it.....ive said too much.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    how about redhat and md 10, wouldn't this be an option?

mandrake 10 is great, easy to use, fast, pretty to look at and soon 10.1 will be out w/ w/e the newest kernel will be!

Just Joined!
    I am just checking this yoper system. It looks great.

Actualy, i beleiev that these new linux distros that are coming up are probably the best candidates for a true desktop, easy to use systems since 'linux breaking into desktop' is a very popular issue these days. Linux is not for geeks only anymore.
    Therefor i'd really like try using these new systems that were from the very begining developed to be easy to use desktop systems.

Yoper seems as a very good candidate.
    However, it seems like every linux distro is heading the same way, toward desktop readines and ease of use. Maybe there will come a time when it would be like Mac OS X

Daniel

you do realize that mac is like linux's cousin...right
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Although I run Slackware and push it at every opportunity, I've been playing with PCLinuxOS for a few days. I have to say, if you're looking for an easy to install, configure, update and maintain Linux desktop distro, this is the one.
    Basically, Texstar took Mandrake, fixed everything that was broken and made an installable live cd. There's even a version of the latest release that includes nVidia graphics and nForce drivers(that's the one I'm using).
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    you do realize that mac is like linux's cousin...right
    Yeees! And that's why i love it even more!

Daniel

Just Joined!
    i didnt use any other distro's but i was choosing between SUSE 9.1 and Mandrake 10.0 and i chose SUSE. Its very easy to use and understand, stable ( no problems till now), has yast which makes everything even more easier. Download a live Cd verison of SUSE and give a try. I think you will like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast