Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am learning linux embeded software. My computer was installed windows xp OS, so I install cygwin and GNU tool to debug my program. but I have to set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question shell command to edit linux file in gnu/linux

Hello,

I am learning linux embeded software. My computer was installed windows xp OS, so I install cygwin and GNU tool to debug my program. but I have to set the path to the GNU tools location in the Cygwin bash. My question is what command i can use to open and edit the file ".bash_profile " ? I have tried many commands,such as, vi,less, more,pico....,etc, but they all didn't work.
    Thanks for your early answer !

hdh_happy

Just Joined!
    While installing Cygwin from the setup, you'll have option to install the Allefault or All:Install or All:Reinstall.
    By default Default is selected, change that to Install and try.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hdh_happy View Post
    Hello,

I am learning linux embeded software. My computer was installed windows xp OS, so I install cygwin and GNU tool to debug my program. but I have to set the path to the GNU tools location in the Cygwin bash. My question is what command i can use to open and edit the file ".bash_profile " ? I have tried many commands,such as, vi,less, more,pico....,etc, but they all didn't work.
    Thanks for your early answer !

hdh_happy
    If you want vi you probably need to install it yourself.

less and more are only visualizers, not editors. Just like cat.

You can as well dump stuff into a given file by echoing it like this:

Code:
    echo "whatever command" >> ~/.bash_profile

Linux Newbie
    Outside the X window system, I like "editor" (editor file-to-be-edited.ext), I don't know if it comes by default in many distributions.