OK... so far KDE 4 obviously lacks the configurability that KDE 3 had, and I can't change the bar at the bottom to tiny, or move it to the top without it looking VERY strange because it just doesn't handle that well yet, and I can't seem to add an external taskbar in the way that KDE 3 let me...

OK, all of that I am finding a way to live with. But this whole making everything a widget thing is getting REALLY annoying, particularly since, for some reason, it seems to want to treat EVERYTHING on my desktop as a bloody widget, including all things in my Desktop folder. Now, I know some people like pristine desktops, and don't load them with icons... but I like to keep the stuff that I regularly use right there, not hidden under a menu, so I put files and folders on my desktop all the time. For some reason, KDE 4 isn't letting me just use them like files and folders, however. I can't just drag things there, then drag them to other places, and use them like I would files and folders, or right-click on them and use them as files and folders... no, it pops up the widget controls.

It is a bloody file or folder, not a widget!!! So... erm... anyone know how to disable this inane 'feature'?