Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a server of my own, and I would like to run various things that require some level of graphical environment to work. For example batik, which converts SVG's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

headless x server

I have a server of my own, and I would like to run various things that require some level of graphical environment to work. For example batik, which converts SVG's to PNG. When I try and run batik right now I get
    Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Despite not have a graphics card installed on the computer is this possible?

I have googled around a bit, but maybe I am missing something?

I wasn't entirely clear on your situation: you are trying to run GUI programs on a server, which is headless, yes?

I assume you're logging into your server via SSH; if so, search for "X forwarding."
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

I have a Slackware headless server. Most of the time, I contact and configure it via ssh, however there are times when a "visual" just seems to help. For that, I've installed tightvnc on the server. When I want X, I ssh into the server, start vnc:
    Code:
    vncserver
    Then log into it. From an outside box with monitor and keyboard:
    Code:
    vncviewer slack_server's_IP:1
    TWM window manager comes up and away I go. Don't know if that answers your question entirely...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Try searching google with this term.

Code:
    x11vnc
    Try searching google with this term.

Code:
    imagemagick

Just Joined!
    I meant the SVG to PNG stuff to be an example, there has been other stuff I would like to run but I keep getting stuck over this point. So I know I could do it with imagemagick but batik is one of the best implementations of SVG I have seen and I would like to use it.

x11vnc and vncserver don't look like what I want. The idea is to run apps like batik (that are for the most part command line, just they need an x server to function properly) using some bash script.

I finally actually got Xvfb (which is what I need) working. Someone pointed me to yum grouplist and install all the things to do with X (the were two) then I there were problems with the font server and Xvfb hanging when I tried to start it. After a number of changes I think I have got it to work.

Just Joined!

Configuring Xvfb?

Hi Michael,

I am struggling to get Xvfb to work. Could you assist in anyway by letting me know what you had to do to configure this correctly?

At the moment I am getting stuck with the following error when adding a display:

Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/share/X11/rgb'
    _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
    _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
    Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running

Kind regards

Adam

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, Adam, and welcome to the forums!

Please start a new thread of your own with the details of any issue that you are experiencing. This one is working toward being 2 years old, so locking it.

Thank you.
    oz