Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

headless x server

I have a server of my own, and I would like to run various things that require some level of graphical environment to work. For example batik, which converts SVG's to PNG. When I try and run batik right now I get
    Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Despite not have a graphics card installed on the computer is this possible?

I have googled around a bit, but maybe I am missing something?

I wasn't entirely clear on your situation: you are trying to run GUI programs on a server, which is headless, yes?

I assume you're logging into your server via SSH; if so, search for "X forwarding."
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

I have a Slackware headless server. Most of the time, I contact and configure it via ssh, however there are times when a "visual" just seems to help. For that, I've installed tightvnc on the server. When I want X, I ssh into the server, start vnc:
    Code:
    vncserver
    Then log into it. From an outside box with monitor and keyboard:
    Code:
    vncviewer slack_server's_IP:1
    TWM window manager comes up and away I go. Don't know if that answers your question entirely...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try searching google with this term.

Code:
    x11vnc
    Try searching google with this term.

Code:
    imagemagick

I meant the SVG to PNG stuff to be an example, there has been other stuff I would like to run but I keep getting stuck over this point. So I know I could do it with imagemagick but batik is one of the best implementations of SVG I have seen and I would like to use it.

x11vnc and vncserver don't look like what I want. The idea is to run apps like batik (that are for the most part command line, just they need an x server to function properly) using some bash script.

I finally actually got Xvfb (which is what I need) working. Someone pointed me to yum grouplist and install all the things to do with X (the were two) then I there were problems with the font server and Xvfb hanging when I tried to start it. After a number of changes I think I have got it to work.

Configuring Xvfb?

Hi Michael,

I am struggling to get Xvfb to work. Could you assist in anyway by letting me know what you had to do to configure this correctly?

At the moment I am getting stuck with the following error when adding a display:

Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/share/X11/rgb'
    _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
    _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
    Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running

Kind regards

Adam

forum.guy
    Hi, Adam, and welcome to the forums!

Please start a new thread of your own with the details of any issue that you are experiencing. This one is working toward being 2 years old, so locking it.

Thank you.
    oz