Results 1 to 8 of 8
Hi all, I have just started off with IceWM. 1. How to create a new panel? 2. How to edit the Quick Launch bar at the bottom? 3. How to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- 06-21-2008 #1
- Join Date
- Jun 2007
n00b to IceWM
I have just started off with IceWM.
1. How to create a new panel?
2. How to edit the Quick Launch bar at the bottom?
3. How to import GNOME applications menu? (where is it (gnome's menu) located? I may be able to make a PERL script to do that.)
Thanks in advance"When you have nothing to say, say nothing."
- 06-21-2008 #2
1. You don't create a new panel, I think. You can install a seperate unrelated "panel" application if you want, like one of those zoomy icon Mac OSX inspired things, but it won't be directly "linked" to IceWM.
2. You modify the file ~/.icewm/toolbar. If this file does not already exist, copy it from /usr/share/icewm/toolbar. The folder /usr/share/icewm/ contains the default config files that are used if they don't exist in ~/.icewm/. So, for example, if you want to customize the menu, you first copy /usr/share/icewm/menu to ~/.icewm/; then you edit it with a text editor.
3. I think you basically don't import the GNOME applications menu. If you are using a Debian based distribution, then you can get a fully automagically dynamically updating universal menu system. This can be installed with "apt-get install menu", but it's already included in the GNOME package.
Therefore, you're not using a Debian based distribution. Maybe you are using Ubuntu or an Ubuntu based distribution. Ubuntu's "menu" package is crippled. The "Program" menu in IceWM which is automagically populated in the original Debian package is simply empty in Ubuntu.Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan
- 06-21-2008 #3
I remember years ago using some sort of Utility that put just about every single app I had on my RedHat 9 box onto my IceWM menu. It was pretty amazing to see all of them there, even sorted according to type. Does that sound like the "menu" you are referring to? I've been trying to remember the name of it, but menu doesn't ring a bell with me...
EDIT: Found it. It's MenuMaker.
EDIT2: I just installed IceWM-Gnome on my Ubuntu box and haven't yet run MenuMaker. From the looks of it, I don't really need to. Have a look! Link
- 06-22-2008 #4
Hey, that menu actually works! On my Ubuntu 7.10 installs, that "Program" menu is simply empty. I've tried installing "menu" and "menu-xdg", and I've got nothing.
What version of Ubuntu are you using? I may try a clean Hardy install if that's what's necessary to get the Debian menu functional.Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan
- 06-22-2008 #5
- 06-23-2008 #6
Dapper Dan is an old version of Ubuntu, isn't it? Maybe this functionality has been broken in newer versions.Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan
- 06-23-2008 #7
- 06-23-2008 #8
Thanks! I'm going to try a clean install of 8.10 using the alternate installer.Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan