Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi, OZ! I know you probably already checked, but the IceWM home page has a few. Other than that, Freshmeat is about the only place I have found so far ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hi, OZ!

I know you probably already checked, but the IceWM home page has a few. Other than that, Freshmeat is about the only place I have found so far that has a decent list.

*EDIT*

Decent as in quantity...
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

ozar, does Arch offer the icewm-themes package? The one offered by Debian has the most themes. I alternate between IceDesert and Infadel but to me, the theme just isn't that important. None of them have much of an effect on IceWM's basic functionality which is... being basic.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Hi, OZ!

I know you probably already checked, but the IceWM home page has a few. Other than that, Freshmeat is about the only place I have found so far that has a decent list.

*EDIT*

Decent as in quantity...
    Yep, already gone through all of them, but thanks for the suggestion. I might wind up having to create my own, or at least alter someone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    ozar, does Arch offer the icewm-themes package? The one offered by Debian has the most themes. I alternate between IceDesert and Infadel but to me, the theme just isn't that important. None of them have much of an effect on IceWM's basic functionality which is... being basic.
    They do in fact have one that I've never noticed before:

AUR (en) - icewm-themes

I always used qbox and icecrack before but never really liked either of them all that much. I'll probably see what those in the Arch repo look like.
    oz

I really like the themes "IceCrack2" (included in icewm-themes) and "IceNine" (available on Stuff for your Windowmanager - Box-Look.org and used to be available on kde-look). Actually box-look has quite a few lookers.

My answers to the original question:

terminal - aterm
    file manager - xfe
    text editor - vi (within aterm), or gedit if I need heavy cut/paste capability
    cd/dvd burning - none (I'd use k3b, but I figure I might as well go all the way and install kde if I'm doing that)
    web browsing - iceweasel/firefox
    email - nothing; I've used http://mail.yahoo.com/ for a decade
    irc chat - don't use
    archiving - nothing graphical; just rsync based scripts for backups
    calculator - python (within aterm)
    pdf viewer - never thought about it...whatever iceweasel/firefox uses by default (probably some gtk app)
    image viewer - gqview
    office suite - I tend to use plain text files when I can; AbiWord if I need a "word processor"
    video player - gmplayer and xine
    music player - xmms
    system monitor - none
    games (cards, mahjong, etc) - too many to list
    other miscellaneous apps... - GNOME's nm-applet for wireless control

Generally, IceWM seems very efficient with gtk/GNOME applications. The combination of the IceNine icewm decorations and the "kore-black" GTK2 theme looks really slick. (I specify the gtk font and theme using ~/.gtkrc-2.0).
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

oz
    forum.guy
    While they don't have lots of themes for IceWM, the good thing about Box-look.org is that their themes are all newer. Most of those at Freshmeat are becoming really old, although they still work well.

As for "office suites" under IceWM, OpenOffice totally blows away any feeling of lightness on the desktop for me, and Abiword wants to pull in lots of Gnome dependencies.

Thanks to all for your replies.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    As for "office suites" under IceWM, OpenOffice totally blows away any feeling of lightness on the desktop for me, and Abiword wants to pull in lots of Gnome dependencies.
    I know what you mean about OpenOffice, but for me, I'd rather have it anyway as it just does almost everything well. Have you ever tried Ted?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I know what you mean about OpenOffice, but for me, I'd rather have it anyway as it just does almost everything well. Have you ever tried Ted?
    I wish it were easy to install OpenOffice Writer only, as that's all that I'm interested in.

No, I've never tried Ted. Thanks for the suggestion.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I wish it were easy to install OpenOffice Writer only, as that's all that I'm interested in.
    That would be excellent if it is possible. 99% of the time, I only use the word processor too. Occasionally I'll use the spreadsheet when Gnumeric is not available. Maybe we should suggest to them to create a "lite" version of OO that's just the word processor. My feeling is that it would be very popular, especially with the maintainers of lighter distros.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've read that it's possible to install only the part(s) you want but don't remember where I read it, or how it is done. There might be a way to split the parts into individual packages during the compilation, but I'm not sure.
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2