Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey, guys... I've used IceWM a number of times in the past, but with all the renewed talk about it here on the forums lately, I've been thinking about trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

IceWM: what apps are you using?

Hey, guys...

I've used IceWM a number of times in the past, but with all the renewed talk about it here on the forums lately, I've been thinking about trying it again especially since it's been a few years since I used it last.

Could you all please tell me what apps you are using to accomplish different jobs, such as:

terminal
    file manager
    text editor
    cd/dvd burning
    web browsing
    email
    irc chat
    archiving
    calculator
    pdf viewer
    image viewer
    office suite
    video player
    music player
    system monitor
    games (cards, mahjong, etc)
    other miscellaneous apps...

Chances are very good that I've already used whatever you might list, but I'm still interested in hearing how things fit in with IceWM, in your own opinions.

Thanks in advance for any app recommendations.
    oz

Hi ozar. I guess you weren't expecting to hear from me on this were you? On CRUX 2.3 I had Gnome and KDE applications which all ran perfectly under IceWM. For CRUX 2.4, I've striven to have my box as Gnome and KDE free as possible.

terminal - xterm
    file manager - rox
    text editor - joe
    cd/dvd burning - (nothing as yet)
    web browsing - Firefox and Links graphics
    email - gmail
    irc chat - xchat, sometimes irssi when I have that insatiable desire to feel "geeky."
    archiving - (nothing as yet)
    calculator - xcalc
    pdf viewer - acroread
    image viewer - qiv
    office suite - OpenOffice
    video player - mplayer
    music player - Xmms, but today I've been playing around with moc and like it a lot!
    system monitor - I just use the monitors for cpu and network on the IceWM toolbar.
    games (cards, mahjong, etc) - Half-Life under Wine and Dos games with Dosbox.
    other miscellaneous apps... Audacity and VirtualBox

Did you see this thread where I have displayed the IceWM-Gnome menu on Ubuntu?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Hi guys,

Well I've just started my IceWm trial. Hopefully I'll pick up some tips along the way.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Manchunian View Post
    Hi guys,

Well I've just started my IceWm trial. Hopefully I'll pick up some tips along the way.
    I put menumaker on Arch using yaourt and have used it to create menus for icewm and fluxbox ... I'm fairly new to both so having a menu with everything on I can just shuffle things about after once I get a bit more used to things is good The Arch wiki has instructions for mmaker.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the reply, Dan!

I've gotta tell you, I'm not a fan of mixing WMs with Destop Enviroments either, so any KDE/Gnome specific apps are not good options for me. I'm also not a fan of menumaker and prefer to manually create/edit my application menus.

I do love rox though and that's most likely what I'd be using for file management. I've not tried qiv but will check it out. I usually do any cd/dvd burning by command line, but there might be something new that's come along that would work. One lightweight option I've been looking at for burning is Recorder, and there is a package build already in the Arch repos.

Since I didn't say what I usually run in WMs like this, here's my list for comparison purposes:

terminal: urxvt (aka rxvt-unicode)
    file manager: rox-filer
    text editor: leafpad (or scite)
    cd/dvd burning: command-line (or graveman)
    web browsing: firefox
    email: gmail (or sylpheed)
    irc chat: xchat
    archiving: command-line
    calculator: galculator
    pdf viewer: epdfview
    image viewer: none
    office suite: abiword
    video player: mplayer
    music player: mplayer (or xmms)
    system monitor: conky
    games (cards, mahjong, etc): pysolfc
    other miscellaneous apps...: gftp

I try hard to stick to apps that are not heavily dependent on Gnome/Kde libraries.

Any other options are most welcome!
    oz

Howdy folks!

Sadly, I still have yet to completely finish tinkering with my menu apps. I'm still trying to figure out when I'm going to finally get down and install something else on my second HD. So while I launch quite a few things from the terminal, some of what I have is

xterm
    Firefox
    Wine (for Diablo 2 mostly)
    xcalc
    gedit
    K3B
    Installed rox, not sure yet if I like it yet
    Then a few miscellaneous things
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Installed rox, not sure yet if I like it yet
    lol... it takes a while to get used to rox since it works so differently than most other file managers. It took me a week or two, but now I love it.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    text editor: leafpad (or scite)
    Forgot leafpad since I've only been using it a very short time. I'll have to say I really like it! It's about as simple of a text editor as you can get with X. Fits in with my minimalistic tendencies!
    lol... it takes a while to get used to rox since it works so differently than most other file managers. It took me a week or two, but now I love it.
    Ain't it the truth! Nautlius and Konqueror are so slick looking. It took me a while too to get used to rox-filer, but I'm liking it more each time I use it (which I have no choice to since I don't have Gnome or KDE on this box. )
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Ain't it the truth! Nautlius and Konqueror are so slick looking. It took me a while too to get used to rox-filer, but I'm liking it more each time I use it (which I have no choice to since I don't have Gnome or KDE on this box. )
    Looks like I'll have to play around with it a bit more then... especially as it seems to be pretty highly recommended Really though, I do love the look of Nautilus... it just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the system as well as it should. it just seems clunky at times.
    Last edited by jayd512; 06-21-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Typo
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy

Can't find any decent themes...

Guys, where are you finding your IceWM themes?

I looked at over 400 of them earlier tonight (seriously) and didn't see a single one that I liked. I quickly remembered having this problem every other time I've run IceWM in the past, too. The Freshmeat site has some of the ugliest themes I've ever run across.

I do know how to make my own, but would rather find something already put together if possible.

Thanks!
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast