Find the answer to your Linux question:
please anonyone can tell me how i stop running the X server ?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

stop x

please anonyone can tell me how i stop running the X server ?

Linux Guru
    Stop running? It does generally quit when you log out, but it gets restarted by your display manager. To stop running that, the best way is to go to runlevel 3, by running "telinit 3".
    However, you could just type CTRL+ALT+F1 to go to a text terminal, if that is what you want.

Linux Engineer
    You can also stop running X with pressing ctrl + alt + backspace that will log you out from X.

If you dont want to come directly to X when you are rebooting your system change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab se which runlevel you currently running at type: runlevel. A good runlevel to have default is 3.

If you want to disable X you cant also shutdown xfs with /etc/init.d/xfs stop.

If you want it to be shutdown after reboot, type:

chkconfig --level 3 xfs off

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    nsswitch.conf?! shall I take that as a sign that you're just tired, andutt? I know you're better than that. Check /etc/inittab instead. Also, all distros don't use xfs. I think Debian, for example, just configures the font paths directly in XF86Config, so that the X server uses them instead.
    Note also that Ctrl+Alt+BkSpc isn't really the best way to log out. It really just terminates the X server, and might, if you're unlucky, leave some programs in an undefined state.

Just Joined!

Thank you

Hello!
    Very Very thank you andutt for your information !