Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone I have a really strange problem which I have fixed but I don't understand why. I have just upgraded my office PC to RH9. Was previously running Mandrake. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

xinerama - mouse pointers - red hat

Hi everyone

I have a really strange problem which I have fixed but I don't understand why.

I have just upgraded my office PC to RH9. Was previously running Mandrake. I have a multiheaded Ati Radeon 7500. I had two monitors configured using the xinerama extension.

When I configured RH to use xinerama everything worked fine until I moved my mouse off one of my screens. The moment I did that the screen wnet black. It only happened on one screen not on the other.

I changed my mouse pointers to white ones and the edited my /usr/share/default/index.theme file and removed the line inherits = bluecurve. Restarted X and everything works.

I did this as a friend ghad the same problem on a diff distribution when running with cusom mouse pointers and it solved his problem.

My question is why did this work and what was the problem.

cheers

Kris
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru
    It sounds like a bug to me; probably in the video card driver, but not necessarily. Maybe you should report to the XFree86 team.

Linux User

not quite solved

It appears I didn't solve it as well as I'd hoped.

It still turns itself off after a period of time. about five minutes. I was so happy yesterday that I got it working I just went home. Now this morning it seems to have partially come back. The main problem I have is that I cannot probe the monitors for refresh rates etc. COuld that be causing the problem?
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I wouldn't think so. If it starts working, it should go on working unless there's some kind of bug.

Linux User

x logs

Where does x put its logs

is it /var/log/messages

and do you think I would be able to make any sense out of them if one screen stops working and turns off. would that be a logged event.

Linux Guru
    XFree86 puts its logs in /var/log/XFree86.<display>.log, where <display> is the display number that it uses. The problem is that if you're using a version of XF86 prior to 4.3, and the server gets respawned after it dies, it will instantly overwrite that file. So what you need to do in that case is to rename /var/log/XFree86.0.log (I guess you're using display 0, right?) to something else, so that it creates a new log file after respawning instead of overwriting the old one.