Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Today while working I was struck with the thought of changing my screen resolution. So I moved to screen resolution settings. Increased resolution from "1024 x 768" to "1280 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Frequency out of range?

Hi,

Today while working I was struck with the thought of changing my screen resolution. So I moved to screen resolution settings. Increased resolution from "1024 x 768" to "1280 x 1024" and pressed "Apply". The monitor went black for a second and then came back. Just as I expected. But I was still not satisfied so I further increased the resolution to '1400 x 1050' and at the same time increased the refresh rate to '75 Hz'. The monitor went black, just as i expected, but then instead of coming back again it showed message,

FREQUENCY OUT OF RANGE

definitely not what i expected. Now, whenever I login to my GNOME environment the system logs in and screen blacks out. I am not able to work in my GNOME environment any more. Although I am writing this mail from my KDE environment. By the way I am using Fedora 9. Can anyone help me and tell me how can i switch back to a lower frequency and resolution.

Thanks,
    Ehsan ul haq

Hi, ehsanulhaq!

You should be able to edit the xorg.conf file to restore your resolution. Press ctrl-alt-f1 to get to a text login. Then, cd into your /etc/X11/ directory. Execute
    vi xorg.conf
    You should be able to replace 1400 x 1050 with 1280 x 1024. Then press ctrl-alt-f6 to get back to the GUI. Let us know if you run into any problems.
    Last edited by jayd512; 07-25-2008 at 07:19 AM. Reason: extra info.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I think that the problem is with the frequency which I changed from 60 to 75Hz. Does KDE and GNOME use different files for storing their display configurations or they use the same xorg.conf file?

Below is my xorg.conf file. I am confused and can't understand which line to modify. Please help me out by pointing out what and how to modify.

Code:
    # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "single head configuration"
    	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# keyboard added by rhpxl
    	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    	Driver      "kbd"
    	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
    	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "Monitor0"
    	ModelName    "ViewSonic 17"
    	HorizSync    30.0 - 82.0
    	VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
    	Option	    "dpms"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Videocard0"
    	Driver      "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen0"
    	Device     "Videocard0"
    	Monitor    "Monitor0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    		Modes    "1280x960" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1152x864" "1024x768" "1024x768" "832x624" "832x624" "800x600" "800x600" "720x400" "720x400" "640x480" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    One more thing, I am still able to login and work through KDE.

Thanks for your concern,
    Ehsan ul haq

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    KDE and GNOME both use the same xorg.conf for settings, but each one keeps it's own settings saved. Try this... open a terminal, execute
    Code:
    system-config-display
    Should bring up a GUI tool to reset resolution.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    ModelName "ViewSonic 17"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0

Option "dpms"
    EndSection
    Are HorizSync and VertRefresh rates supported by your Monitor? Check Monitor's manual and set correct values.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Changing the resolution using "system-config-display" did not helped. I also tried to change the sync rates with the values from my collegues computer' who has got the same machine as I do. But sadly it also didn't help.

In any case' thanks "jayd512" and "devils casper" for your support, my problem has been solved. I asked the same question to one of my colleagues. He suggested to delete the two folders,

~/.gnome2
    ~/.gnome2_private

He said that these folders contain the setting related to GNOME environment. So if i would delete these my environment will reset to default setting.

I can't say whether he is right or wrong. But it worked for me.

Thanks Everybody,
    Ehsan ul haq

.gnome2 and .gnome2_private folders have config files necessary to run Gnome. Deleting those files sort out a lot of other problems too.
    I am glad that you have sorted out problem and posted solution too.
    Do start a new thread if you have any other question.
    Enjoy Linux !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First