Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've recently installed Gentoo to dual boot with Debian on my machine but as it doesn't seem to come with a GUI, I've had to try installing X. I followed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

running X on gentoo

I've recently installed Gentoo to dual boot with Debian on my machine but as it doesn't seem to come with a GUI, I've had to try installing X. I followed the instructions on the Gentoo website but now when I try startx, I get several messages saying that my video RAM is set too low preceded by a message that it can't find /dev/agpgart. I did ls /dev and found that agpgart wasn't listed but when I do it on Debian, it is. I also found on a separate webpage that i needed the module agpgart or intel_agp but have been completely unable to find either.

Do I need these modules or am I on completely the wrong track?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by pclown View Post
    I've recently installed Gentoo to dual boot with Debian on my machine but as it doesn't seem to come with a GUI, I've had to try installing X. I followed the instructions on the Gentoo website but now when I try startx, I get several messages saying that my video RAM is set too low preceded by a message that it can't find /dev/agpgart. I did ls /dev and found that agpgart wasn't listed but when I do it on Debian, it is. I also found on a separate webpage that i needed the module agpgart or intel_agp but have been completely unable to find either.

Do I need these modules or am I on completely the wrong track?
    You probably need to enable agpart support in your kernel. Go to the dir where your kernel sources reside, usually /usr/src/linux, then select this:

Code:
    Device Drivers  ---> 
     Graphics support  --->
       -*- /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)  --->
    Whether you need to setup something else in your kernel or your xorg.conf depends on what card do you have, and what driver are you going to choose (sometimes there are many alternatives).

EDIT: Of course, after changing that you need to recompile your kernel, reinstall it, and boot into your new kernel.