Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by i92guboj I don't know what do you mean. As I said, it is not "X vs. Xorg", no. It's "Xorg: one concrete implementation of the X-protocol". Xfree ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    I don't know what do you mean. As I said, it is not "X vs. Xorg", no. It's "Xorg: one concrete implementation of the X-protocol". Xfree is another, and there are many more. There is no "both". Applications requiring an X server will run under Xorg, Xfree or any other.
    I meant, both X and framebuffer. I thought I read something saying that framebuffer was faster. I'm guessing the answer is no...anyway, you've answered my original question, so thanks!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulenmar View Post
    I meant, both X and framebuffer. I thought I read something saying that framebuffer was faster. I'm guessing the answer is no...anyway, you've answered my original question, so thanks!
    Not really. Framebuffer has no acceleration at all, the framebuffer driver is just a basic vesa implementation and it can't contain any acceralation that is specific to a given video card, that's by definition (otherwise it wouldn't be framebuffer). Framebuffer is generic, while most x drivers (not the vesa one, though) are accelerated to a bigger or lesser extent.

Framebuffer is lighter in terms of ram usage, but it drains up your cpu, since the gpu can't do it's work on non-accelerated drivers. It's definitely not faster, but it's convenient in devices where storage and ram are critical factors.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I'll just stick with Xorg, then. Thanks for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2