Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am novic to X Window and wanted to know how can we access text contents of a window visible on desktop? Basically, the requirements is for a parental ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Accessing text contents of a window..??

Hi, I am novic to X Window and wanted to know how can we access text contents of a window visible on desktop?

Basically, the requirements is for a parental control software where the application should be able to scan whatever text is visible on the screen (i.e. contents of window, window titles, etc.).

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Nilesh☼ View Post
    Hi, I am novic to X Window and wanted to know how can we access text contents of a window visible on desktop?

Basically, the requirements is for a parental control software where the application should be able to scan whatever text is visible on the screen (i.e. contents of window, window titles, etc.).

Thanks,
    Hi Nilesh,

Can you please be more specific? I believe, no one has understood the question.. Do you mean, you have java servlet that acts as parental control system? and acts like a 'crawler' that scans ur html tags and with reference to meta of the webpage and then extracts keywords? or do you mean, even non-internet or non-webbased??? Please be more specific and summarize it don't be precise.

regards

Just Joined!
    The application can be running in background (no gui) and scanning whatever text being displayed in any window on the system and should not be limited to internet contents only. For example, user is opening a text file in some text editor so as the editor displays the contents on screen, my application should also be able to scan the contents of that file, or even simple, say user is typing some text in some editor window.

hope this helps understand the requirements.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Nilesh☼ View Post
    The application can be running in background (no gui) and scanning whatever text being displayed in any window on the system and should not be limited to internet contents only. For example, user is opening a text file in some text editor so as the editor displays the contents on screen, my application should also be able to scan the contents of that file, or even simple, say user is typing some text in some editor window.

hope this helps understand the requirements.

Thanks,
    You mean a lot more like 'netlogger' but something that scans and if () else () with keywords that resembles explicit content?
    This is a big thing to research because to prevent netloggers, there has been many security measures by operating system, especailly fedora for its SVC....
    I cannot promise a reply to this but make sure you do more googling and also try live search for application purposes.

regards