Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a machine that has an Nvidia based video card. I have a demo unit of a TV from a factory in China that is a 32" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Probe for monitor (32" LCD TV)

Hi all,

I have a machine that has an Nvidia based video card.
    I have a demo unit of a TV from a factory in China that is a 32" LCD.
    I also have a 32" ViewSonic LCD TV.

The ViewSonic will display WXGA resolution ,1366x768, no problem in either Windows or any Linux. No issues there.

The demo TV can do WXGA in Windows XP (after nvidia driver install) but, I cannot get any Linux distro to work at all with this unit. An Ubuntu 8.04 live cd will use 1024x768 and just stretch it to make it wide screen. I assume that this is because of the chipset used to provide the VGA input on the TV.

If Windows can do it, then Linux should be able to as well right?
    Does a monitor require a driver, or just correct probing for configuration (ie. refresh, horizontal sync, vertical sync)?

Is there a way I can glean the required info from the running Windows to use to configure X on Linux?

Any links to good howtos on this topic?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Just Joined!

xwindow

An X terminal is a thin client that runs an X server. This architecture became popular for building inexpensive terminal parks for many users to simultaneously use the same large server (making programs being run on the server clients of the X terminal). This use very much aligns with the original intention of the MIT project
    VirtualizationTeam (Blog) Blog Archive VMware News: Features of the new VMware ESX 4.0.