Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Dell 2007fp (20") and and an Envision crt (17") with a geforce 8200 gpu. I installed NVidia's driver from here and used their utility to setup twinview. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

TwinView with different resolutions

I have a Dell 2007fp (20") and and an Envision crt (17") with a geforce 8200 gpu. I installed NVidia's driver from here and used their utility to setup twinview. When I set both monitors to the same resolution, 1024 x 768, twinview works. However, when I set each monitor to a different resolution, my Envision works, but my Dell monitor turns off. That is, my Dell Monitor tells me it is not receiving a signal from the computer. Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

Just Joined!
    can you give us your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
    also be sure that your monitor support the desired resolution
    i think i can help you if you are a patient person

Question

Quote Originally Posted by normman View Post
    I have a Dell 2007fp (20") and and an Envision crt (17") with a geforce 8200 gpu. <<snip>> However, when I set each monitor to a different resolution, my Envision works, but my Dell monitor turns off. That is, my Dell Monitor tells me it is not receiving a signal from the computer. Could anyone tell me how to fix this?
    As Skullus says, your xorg.conf could hold the clue. What distro are you running, and what does your xorg.conf look like (although, if you used the nvidia tool it should be generic twinview). I've got a laptop in 1400x900 side by side with a 1280x1024 LCD, using twinview, setup with the nvidia control panel (v173.14.05). So it does work if resolutions are not the same.

Could be a monitor issue? Some LCD's do not like certain resolutions that deviate from their "ideal". My Viewsonic complains via OSD when the resolution is not 1280x1024.

Have you perhaps tried your Twinview setup with another monitor? That is a simple test that will tell you that your config is fine.
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    @sarlacii: I have the same screens resolutions. It's works to me too but I find it kinda uncomfortable. As horizontally they don't have the same height there's part of the screen that 'hides'. I know I can use just two X sessiones but I prefer a 'extended' desktop because it's easier to work for me instead of each screen having it's own desktop. What's your config for this issue? Thanks

download nvidia-settings, makes it easy as pie
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"