Find the answer to your Linux question:
I use geany as my programming environment and I love it. But it seems to have declared complete independence from fluxbox. It runs full screen without a window frame, no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Geany doesn't accept the authority of fluxbox window manager

I use geany as my programming environment and I love it. But it seems to have declared complete independence from fluxbox. It runs full screen without a window frame, no frame buttons (so I can only minimise it from the taskbar), no possibility to use the window management menu, and (worst of all) no easy way to get at the other windows on my desktop. For example, if I right-click on another taskbar button and choose "raise" nothing happens; geany insists on remaining in the foreground.

No other program that I run behaves like this. I vaguely remember that geany didn't when I first installed it. So what has gone wrong?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Further to this. Fluxbox allows apps to be assigned to various layers. I always run my programs (including geany) in the "normal" layer, which means they are raised or lowered according to the focus. Now I have found that if I move geany to another layer (by using the contextual menu on its taskbar icon) and then back to "normal", it now allows other apps to be raised above it. If I quit and restart it, it goes back to hogging the top layer.

Just what is going on?
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Coincidentally I found the answer in a post by BigTom Rodney on another topic (someone had been having the same problem with firefox). Just press F11 and it goes back to windowed mode. Thanks a lot, Big Tom!
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close