Find the answer to your Linux question:
m playing around w/ some different window managers. Depending on my mood I might want to log in using KDE, or one of the 2 or 3 window managers I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    bvs
    Just Joined!

Choosing Window Manager at logon?

m playing around w/ some different window managers. Depending on my mood I might want to log in using KDE, or one of the 2 or 3 window managers I use on occassion.

Is there a way I can set up a menu or something in KDM that will allow me to choose which window manager to use each time I log on?

Re: Choosing Window Manager at logon?

Quote Originally Posted by bvs
    m playing around w/ some different window managers. Depending on my mood I might want to log in using KDE, or one of the 2 or 3 window managers I use on occassion.

Is there a way I can set up a menu or something in KDM that will allow me to choose which window manager to use each time I log on?
    I'm not sure about KDM, but you can set up what window manager you want by editing the .xinitrc file in your home directory. It's not an elegant solution, but I use it and it works. Here's an example .xinitrc file:

Code:
    #Uncomment whichever you want
    ##
    #exec gnome-session
    #exec startkde
    exec blackbox
    #exec fluxbox
    #exec WindowMaker
    This will change what runs when you type the startx command. Again, not elegant, but it works.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

bvs
    Just Joined!
    Yeah that's what I end up doing now...

But I'd like to get away from having to do everything via command line and get KDM to give me a nice GUI way to manage this.

Just Joined!
    you could create a BASH script which would prompt you which one to use, simply have the script echo 'window manger' > .xinitc. Then set the depend(script2choose) in the startup script, as long as you've copied the startup script to the appropriate place. What distribution are you using?

Linux Engineer
    there is actually a way to modify the list of WM's listed in KDM... i remember seeing how to do it somewhere in the forums... just search the forums... you should be able to find what you are looking for.. i know the solution to that problem has been posted before.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

a note, the searhc function here doesnt work to well, your better off using the google search function.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333