Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I'm using Mandriva 2009 on my laptop and the push towards KDE4 was a bit much for it so I've recently switched to IceWM. I'm having trhoubles with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

IceWM System Tray issues

Hi all.

I'm using Mandriva 2009 on my laptop and the push towards KDE4 was a bit much for it so I've recently switched to IceWM. I'm having trhoubles with the system tray though.

The built in tray icons (the ones you can set in prefs) work fine, like the wireless and CPU monitor, and clicking on window bars and selecting tray icon shrinks them down to the taskbar fine (an awesome little feature btw). However, programs that are supposed to embed in system tray (aMSN is one off the top of my head) will not. The tray will expend to make space for them, but no icon will appear and nothing there can be clicked on to provide a popup menu.

This makes it very awkward to keep some programs in the background while I'm working and really a chore because I'm currently trying to code a tray-embedded java tool.

Can anybody help with this issue please?

Another question I have about IceWM which I suspect I know the answer to: In managers like KDE and others (I know IceWM is not KDE, and if it doesn't have this functionality, thats cool) you can have more that one panel. Like, a second panel along the side of your screen. Is it possible to have more than one panel with IceWM? ideally, panel across the bottom with the taskbar and panel down the side with toolbar icons? or toolbar and tray?

Any help on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Priest. I don't think there is a satisfactory remedy for either as IceWM is a simple Window Manager. For that kind of functionality, I think you have to go with KDE or Gnome... especially for extra taskbars or panels. I don't know of a way to make IceWM use a secondary taskbar and I've used it for years. If there is, I'd like to know too!

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Hi Dapper Dan

Thanks for the quick reply.

I figured the second panel wouldn't be supported, and to be honest that's not really a big problem for me. Although the system tray issue is bothering me. I read here that the IceWMTray is supposed to support the "Freedesktop.org system tray standard", which enables embeddable programs following that standard to work with it as a normal system tray.

Mine are trying to work with it. Like I said, they're expanding the tray to make space, but just not getting all the way :S Which leads me to believe that there's something wrong with my install