Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is actually two or three questions, but they are both asked for one purpose... please forgive ^,^ 1: How can one control the amount of virtual terminals? I know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

virtual terminals & X

This is actually two or three questions, but they are both asked for one purpose... please forgive ^,^

1: How can one control the amount of virtual terminals? I know that Puppy just has two+X where most have 6+X (and I want to say I've seen more somewhere). I just want to know how to control that.

2: How can one control where X is run? What I'm actually wanting is to have X run in whatever v.t. it is called in (is this possible? I'd guess stdout could be routed to an output file...), conceptually even running multiple X's at once (is that possible?!).

Per usual in my head, I'm probably way out of my league, but no harm in asking at least....

Just Joined!
    I don't know about virtual but if you want to run X on the terminal you want,edit the /etc/inittab file.There specify which terminal you want for X

Linux Newbie
    Well that's one step in the right direction, at least ^,^
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post

1: How can one control the amount of virtual terminals? I know that Puppy just has two+X where most have 6+X (and I want to say I've seen more somewhere). I just want to know how to control that.
    There is one line in inittab for each console opened. Just put in the number of lines you want using an existing one as a guide.

2: How can one control where X is run? What I'm actually wanting is to have X run in whatever v.t. it is called in (is this possible? I'd guess stdout could be routed to an output file...), conceptually even running multiple X's at once (is that possible?!).
    X always runs on the first free console it finds - i.e. the first that does not have a getty process running on it. But if you start it from the command line with startx, the X server messages will appear on the console you started it from instead of going into a log file. I think it is possible to have two Xs running at once but it must be a heavy load on your cpu.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com