Find the answer to your Linux question:
What desktop-oriented distros or programs are available that provide purely graphical methods to set up and configure nearly everything network-related on a system? Let's say I don't want to hand-hack ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop-oriented network management?

What desktop-oriented distros or programs are available that provide purely graphical methods to set up and configure nearly everything network-related on a system?

Let's say I don't want to hand-hack my NAT config, my firewall config, my FTP/HTTP/RSTP/telnet proxy config, my caching proxy config, and so forth, so that I don't need to memorize a hundred different command-line options and syntaxes. Goodbye vi.

Instead I'd use a GUI-based management tool that is application-independent, and can autodetect what networking apps and kernel modules are installed (iptables/ipchains/ipmasq/squid/etc).

It would read the various config files, and present the total system config in a rational GUI-oriented manner, plus provide online help for whatever I'm configuring.

When I'm done making changes, it would write the changes back to the various config files by itself and can tell the various affected programs/services to restart/activate with the new config files.

Does anything even remotely like this exist?

well it really depends, but webmin is a great tool in this ballpark.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    That looks like almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks.