Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I run 'Konsole' it runs two instances: one just like normal with a BASH prompt, and one without a BASH prompt, I can type into it and hit enter, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

launching 2 Konsoles

When I run 'Konsole' it runs two instances: one just like normal with a BASH prompt, and one without a BASH prompt, I can type into it and hit enter, but i get no responce. I'd like to have it the way it used to be before... where just one instance on Konsole launches.
    What I did to screw it up- I was writing a small bit of code late at night/morning and I was in X with KDE. After I told it to compile I told it to 'Open with' and I check the box "Run in terminal" and i think i chose "do not close when command exits". Anyway i'm running Gentoo 2004.2.

can you be more specific about the dode, is it possible that the code interfeard with bash?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

code

it was a simple program for prime numbers. Nothing in it should have any capibilities to interfere with BASH. What i suspect is happening: when i launch konsole, it opens a normal console, then another konsole with my stupid program (albeit now deleted) running in the konsole. because i checked the 'do not close when command exits' box, i suspect it somehow tries to complete the loop. Although i would think that would get cleared when i reboot(which i have done.)

below is the process shown to be running inthe 'ps aux' output:
    user 8676 0.2 3.1 27328 16440 ? S 22:39 0:00 kdeinit: konsole -caption=Konsole -icon unknown -miniicon unknown -e konsole