Find the answer to your Linux question:
KDE menu editor cant save changes. So I tried the same in gnome. I tried to edit it via nautilus (applications:///) but it wont save any changes either - says ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant edit Gnome & KDE menu

KDE menu editor cant save changes. So I tried the same in gnome. I tried to edit it via nautilus (applications:///) but it wont save any changes either - says that the media is read only.
    Now, I read the GNOME SysAdminGuide and found out that /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders is supposed to contain some vfolder-info files but there are no files in that folder. Heck there are no desktop files either..they are in /usr/share/gnome/vfolders.....but still no sign of the info files.
    I can still change the locations of entries by manually editing the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications but cant add any new vfolders.

What is wrong?? Probably I need to set permissions for something ???

Just Joined!

Re: Cant edit Gnome & KDE menu

Quote Originally Posted by devil
    KDE menu editor cant save changes. So I tried the same in gnome. I tried to edit it via nautilus (applications:///) but it wont save any changes either - says that the media is read only.
    Now, I read the GNOME SysAdminGuide and found out that /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders is supposed to contain some vfolder-info files but there are no files in that folder. Heck there are no desktop files either..they are in /usr/share/gnome/vfolders.....but still no sign of the info files.
    I can still change the locations of entries by manually editing the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications but cant add any new vfolders.

What is wrong?? Probably I need to set permissions for something ???
    This is a classic (similar situations have happened to me). By the look of it you are currently in a standard user account. You'll need to switch to root for changes to the system config to be allowed.

Just Joined!
    I am root

Linux Engineer
    use whatever system update utility you have. i'm assuming up2date because your profile says you're using fc2. look for any patches for gnome or kde. also look on kde and gnome's websites for known bugs.

since it's happening on both, it's probably not a patch problem but it's worth a try. you should also create a new user and try editing menus as the user you create.

i've seen other people with this problem, and there usually isn't a solution other than "upgrade" or "change distros." any chance you changed something major on your system which has then resulted in this problem? has it ever worked correctly in the past?