Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am interested in trying out KOffice's word processor and presentation programs. I ran Kubuntu only to realize that it had KDE but not KOffice. I'd rather not partition my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    prr
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] live cd with KOffice on it?

I am interested in trying out KOffice's word processor and presentation programs. I ran Kubuntu only to realize that it had KDE but not KOffice. I'd rather not partition my hdd and install a distro just to find out that Koffice won't fit my needs. Is there a live cd I can get that comes with KOffice? I tried the Windows port but it froze and wouldn't open up .doc files so that's out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Yes I tried Open Office but that also didn't have a feature I'm looking for.

Hi and Welcome !

Koffice LiveCD will be best option.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

prr
    Just Joined!
    Thanks. Much obliged for the link, but the iso just won't work. I get to the point where it asks me to boot up KOffice, which I select, but the screen goes blank after that.... ISO burns fine, done that a thousand times before....

It looks like a Graphics Card problem only. Which Graphics Card do you have?
    Does it switch to command line mode on pressing Alt+Ctrl+F1?

prr
    Just Joined!
    My laptop is ATI Radeon Xpress 1150; the desktop (same result) is an integrated Intel 845GL card. I've used live cds in the past, in fact earlier yesterday I loaded (via live cd) Kubuntu--not too sure why it would be something on both systems that is goofing this up. Oh well.

Koffice LiveCD is not configuring ATI graphics card properly. Press Alt+Ctrl+F1 and execute this
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Add this code in Video Card section :
    Code:
    Section "Device"
               Identifier "Configured Video Card"
               Driver       "vesa"
    EndSection
    Press Ctrl+X, Y and hit Enter key to save file.
    Press Alt+Ctrl+F7, Alt+Ctrl+BackSpace to restart X Server.

Problem is, you have to edit xorg.conf file on each boot up. You can remaster .iso image though.

prr
    Just Joined!
    As it was, I found Slax has KOffice on it, so I ran that instead. A bit dissappointed, it choked on both a powerpoint as well as an open document presentation file, so I really cant use it. But thanks for your time.