Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm unable to use a higher resolution than 1024x768 with the "radeon" driver. My system is an x86 with GNU/Linux Slackware 12.2, it has a Radeon Xpress 200 integrated graphics ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

X-windows doesn't work with Radeon.

I'm unable to use a higher resolution than 1024x768 with the "radeon" driver.

My system is an x86 with GNU/Linux Slackware 12.2, it has a Radeon Xpress 200 integrated graphics card.

If I attempt to use the "vesa" driver I get no usable screens.
    If I attempt to use the proprietary ATI driver the entire system will crash -- the display turns black, and the computer freezes, I'm assuming this is due to a kernel panic. I've tried at least 5 different driver versions of the proprietary ATI driver, none work so far.

The computer works perfectly fine in every other regard.

When I try to force X to use 1280x1024 I get in the Xorg.log:

"(EE) RADEON(0): Using VGA default."

Attached here is my dmesg, Xorg.log and xorg.conf files:

dmesg: pastebin - collaborative debugging tool
    Xorg.log: pastebin - collaborative debugging tool
    xorg.conf: pastebin - collaborative debugging tool

I don't think the open source radeon driver is actively supported anymore, and the cards it supported are limited, mostly to old rage stuff. ATI Catalyst? Proprietary Display Driver. We should be able to get proprietary driver to work...when the screen turns black can you get to console by pressing ctrl+alt+f1?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    I don't think the open source radeon driver is actively supported anymore, and the cards it supported are limited, mostly to old rage stuff. ATI Catalyst? Proprietary Display Driver. We should be able to get proprietary driver to work...when the screen turns black can you get to console by pressing ctrl+alt+f1?
    No,
    when the system crashes due to the proprietary drivers the system is completely dead. It does not respond to ICMP echo, it does not respond to function keys nor kernel magic sysrq-keys.

If I attempt merely "X -configure" (in contrast to startx or runlevel 4) after installing the driver the procedure will fail with the error:

Backtrace:
    0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x73) [0x80d8b5e]
    1: [0xffffe400]
    2: X(DoConfigure+0x210) [0x80bddd0]
    3: X(InitOutput+0x61a) [0x80a1f7a]
    4: X(main+0x296) [0x806dbb6]
    5: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7e4d390]
    6: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x20d) [0x806d121]

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    do you know what version of xorg? According to slack website, 12.2 ships with 1.4.2 of xserver, but i'm not sure what version of xorg, it needs to be like 6.5 or higher

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    do you know what version of xorg? According to slack website, 12.2 ships with 1.4.2 of xserver, but i'm not sure what version of xorg, it needs to be like 6.5 or higher
    I don't know how to determine that.

xdpyinfo |grep version gives me:
    version number: 11.0
    X.Org version: 1.4.2

But I've tried both old and new drivers for the ATI proprietary driver -- one of them should surely support my version?

I don't need to use the proprietary driver version if I can get the regular radeon driver version to work.

You tried the xf86-video-ati driver? I don't know slackware, but in Arch Linux, which is similar in many ways, the xf86-video-ati is the recommended driver, and in xorg, you use "ati" rather than "radeon" for the driver.

Slackware Package Browser: Search results

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    You tried the xf86-video-ati driver? I don't know slackware, but in Arch Linux, which is similar in many ways, the xf86-video-ati is the recommended driver, and in xorg, you use "ati" rather than "radeon" for the driver.

Slackware Package Browser: Search results
    I have attempted that now.

The problem was not resolved, same fixed resolution (1024x76.

(II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 using initial mode 1024x768

And I also noticed that despite ati_drv.so being loaded without errors and warnings the radeon_drv.so will be subsequently loaded right after that.

I also noticed that Xpress 200 (nor "RC420") was listed in the "(II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets:"-list.

Linux Newbie
    When I try with VESA, I get:

(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

This seems to happen regardless the configuration of the screen, e.g. 1024x768, 1280x1024, 800x600.

When I try 800x600 with "radeon" or "ati" I always get the same -- 1024x768, what Xorg likes to call "VGA default" for some reason.

How can I force X to run with 1280x1024 with the radeon or ati driver, why does it default to 1024x768? I've never seen anything like this.

Linux Newbie
    I have written a modeline for the screen now, however it seems to have no affect whatsoever, I still get:

(II) RADEON(0): Adding Screen Mode: 1280x1024
    (II) RADEON(0): Total number of valid Screen mode(s) added: 1

But then ...

(II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 using initial mode 1024x768

I'm at a loss. But it looks like our very own techiemoe had a similar problem and it doesn't look like he resolved it. Slackware Linux 12.2

If you like slackware's simplicity of design, you might try Arch Linux. Arch Compared To Other Distros - ArchWiki

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast