Find the answer to your Linux question:
On my Fedora 7 , i tried to install Xen,using, yum groupinstall 'Virtualization It updated some packages ...and then i tried to reboot i'm getting bash[3618]: segfault at c ip ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question System Crashed again

On my Fedora 7 , i tried to install Xen,using,

yum groupinstall 'Virtualization

It updated some packages ...and then i tried to reboot i'm getting

bash[3618]: segfault at c ip 00127650 sp bfff96b0 error 4 in libc-2.8.so[111000+148000]
    message and

no X is available and tried to login in text mode even here it says something like
    /dev/tty1 ..mingetty respawned too fast ..disabled for 5 mints...and i was unable to login

Any one had any idea how to fix this ?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Exclamation

Any one ?

Any suggestions , i can access the contents from the unbootable partition ,but i need the same environment back b'coz i have installed kernel sources and some audio/video plugins there....so i perfer the same environment again.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Exclamation

I installed Fedora 7 in another new partition and backed up original etc,bin,sbin,lib,usr,var
    from older Fedora 7 and copied new etc,bin,sbin,lib,usr and var into older Fedora.

now i'm getting more info on problem,

screen displayed a message similar to below
    example kernel: audit(1009218137.105:0): \
    avc: denied { read } for pid=16202 exe=/bin/bash
    and the log messages show this
    SELinux is preventing /bin/login (hotplug_t) "entrypoint" to /bin/bash (etc_runtime_t). For complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l 8ba8d372-9a71-456c-8d13-9b792c5c4a69
    What's the issue here? Should i disable SELinux ?

Any thoughts post here ,in the mean time i'll continue my own exploration
    -----

yes, i disabled selinux and now i can login successfully

Now i need to remove some unwanted files which i copied from new Fedora 7 - It can be done -That's not an issue.
    -----

Talking

i removed unwanted files and fedora was working well for all this time....yesterday again when i tried to install some rpm ....it asked me 4 rpms
    and i think it contains libstdc++ package too....then again something happened , ican't login ....(i think this is 3-4 th time ....i messed up with my system)

I'm spenting (wasting ) lot of time re-re-re-Installing and -re-re-re-Crashing
    need to find out the root cause this issue ....
    -----

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't suppose you backed up your system first? What about your boot menu? Can you boot the old kernel as an option? Remember, Xen is a different kernel version. It can co-exist on your system with a non-xen kernel. However, it is possible that what you did has munged the entire system and you may need to restore from backup, or reinstall altogether. You haven't provided enough information as yet to determine what you can do to fix this.

In my case, whenever I am going to do something that will potentially jeopardize my system, I make a bit-image of the system disc, so I can easily "roll back" the changes simply by restoring the old version in its entirety. Ie, I backup the entire disc, not just some partitions, including the boot sector.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    i removed unwanted files and fedora was working well for all this time....yesterday again when i tried to install some rpm ....it asked me 4 rpms
    and i think it contains libstdc++ package too....then again something happened , ican't login ....(i think this is 3-4 th time ....i messed up with my system)

I'm spenting (wasting ) lot of time re-re-re-Installing and -re-re-re-Crashing
    need to find out the root cause this issue ....
    The thing about removing "unwanted" files from systems like Linux is that they might not be so unwanted as you think. Remember, that you can delete a file that is in use, such as a shared library, but while it may not appear in the directory, it actually hasn't been removed from the system until the applications that are using it are shut down. So, when you rebooted, these files are physically removed from the system (their link count == 0), and now your system won't run. Caveat User. Don't remove files, directories, or programs from /usr, /var, /opt, /bin, /sbin, /boot, /lib (and /lib64), or /etc and their sub-directories if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing! Whether or not you can recover from this without reconstructing your entire system is debatable.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!