Find the answer to your Linux question:
Which is better? What exactly is the difference? I have Xorg cuz I have Mandrake 10.1 Community, but have also used XFree before. I was just curious....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

XFree vs Xorg

Which is better? What exactly is the difference? I have Xorg cuz I have Mandrake 10.1 Community, but have also used XFree before. I was just curious.

Xorg is the version of X written by a group from freedesktop.org. Basically, the XFree86 devs had been doing a lot of nothing for a while. Some of the core team sorta broke up (as I understand it). Now, it would seem, they are back together. Back to Xorg...

Xorg follows strictly with the freedesktop standards for the X window system. They are also very active in developing new features and cleaning the old XFree code.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

so basic xorg is better, because they are actually still working?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I wouldn't say it's better, but it's still OpenSource and is the future X server of almost any Linux distro.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Well, yeah. But XFree is still working, too. Just...slowly. I'm not sure on their goals anymore, either. I know that Xorg is active in (as I said) coding new things as well as cleaning up the XFree code that they are using (as we all know...X is the slowest part of GUI Linux ).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    I could be wrong about this as the whole X drama is more complex then Days of our Lives, but I thought I heard XFree changed their licence (un-GPL'd it) and that's why it's no longer the main Linux XServer?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    I could be wrong about this as the whole X drama is more complex then Days of our Lives, but I thought I heard XFree changed their licence (un-GPL'd it) and that's why it's no longer the main Linux XServer?

Jeremy
    That's the impression I get from reading statements from both XFree86 and Xorg. XFree are basically indignant, saying that their new license doesn't violate the GPL, but most major distros like Fedora are moving away from it regardless. Interestingly enough, from what I've read, Xorg used to be the "bad guy" with the non-GPL license, and then they changed it back to become the "savior of the X". Confusing.

Bottom line for me is: XFree was standing still (or at least moving WAY too slow with new features) whereas in the few months Xorg has been working, they've already added several new features such as drop shadows and transparency (things that I've been waiting for in Linux for some time but apparently weren't "important" enough to XFree86), so I use Xorg.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701

Jeremy
    Yeah that was the 'big event' that made most major distro's switch from XFree to something else (most went to Xorg). The other things mentioned above have been going on for years and were problems too. XFree hasnt inovated in years, they just seem to fight and only settle on a driver upgrade or inclution from time to time. The switch was going to be made, it was just a matter of when really.

Basically, the answer to the question is Xorg is better then XFree.

Just Joined!
    The switch to XOrg was going to happen sooner of later, the whole license deal was just the jump to get moving. One thing Xorg is doing is moving away from the monolithic tree and to a modular X11 system. I believe X11R7 will be that release.

isn't this true? (and then all that's needed to know what to use):
    "xorg has made more progress in 3 months than XFree86 in 3 years..."
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.