Find the answer to your Linux question:
I built the latest version of glib and installed it with appropriate usage of ldconfig. But after the install, a lot of Nautilus's behaviour has gone awry. I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Issues with custom built glib

I built the latest version of glib and installed it with appropriate usage of ldconfig. But after the install, a lot of Nautilus's behaviour has gone awry.

I want to uninstall the built glib and use ubuntu's version. But unfortunately I deleted the source folder where I built it. So I now have the tarball of the source.

When I do a make uninstall on the extracted source, it gets uninstalled but gdm doesn't start till i do a 'make install' again. I want to use the version of glib shipped with ubuntu. How to do it?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The system probably thinks you still have the old glib installed since you built from source and likely did not remove it using the package manager, otherwise all dependent things would have been nuked as well (goodby desktop). You need to force it to install glib again. You can do this from the command line with (I think): apt-get --reinstall install glib
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!