Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
/var/log/messages doesn't seem to pick up anything from running Xorg -configure. (I tried adding a line of %%%%%%%% at the end, then running it. It crashed, and when I restarted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

/var/log/messages doesn't seem to pick up anything from running Xorg -configure.
    (I tried adding a line of %%%%%%%% at the end, then running it. It crashed, and when I restarted the first line after the %%%%%%%%s was
    Apr 22 21:41:34 hostname syslogd 1.4.2: restart.
    I can upload if it'd help).

/var/log/Xorg.log doesn't actually exist, but Xorg.0.log and Xorg.9.log do. Xorg.0.log contains loadmodule statements for about 50 different graphics drivers (!), the other one mostly has stuff about radeonhd, which is the one loaded by my old-but-working xorg.conf. I don't know what of that might be relevant, so I've uploaded it to my server http://gilesfleming.com/uploads/Xorg.9.log (it's too large to attach to the forum post here).

Dmesg also doesn't seem to pick up any useful changes - the diff (before and after a Xorg -configure then a restart) is attached. It's also much longer than I thought I remembered it being when I last looked (though that may have been on other hardware) - approx. 600 lines. I'm not really sure what to look for in it - would it be helpful for me to upload it? or can you tell me tell-tale things to look for?

As far as my system goes, I'm running Mandriva 2009 (upgraded from previous versions, not clean-installed), which has a mandriva-adapted version of the 2.6.27.19 kernel (2.6.27.19-desktop-1mnb), on a computer with both an onboard Intel graphics card (which I'm not trying to use) and an ATI HD 3450 dual-head PCI graphics card (which I do want to use). Other system specs if they're helpful are that it's got a dual-core 2.6Ghz proc and 1gig of ram. The monitors I'm trying to use are pretty generic CRT ones (a Samsung Syncmaster 750s, and a Compaq 460-P).

Thanks again for your thoughts - and apologies for the fact that I can't seem to extract the useful information from among the mass of other stuff...
    Giles

EDIT: for sense
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried disabling the on-board video from the BIOS?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

There doesn't seem to be an option to disable on-board graphics (which is odd, cos I've found the options to disable onboard sound, onboard LAN etc). However, I can set which is default, so that's set to PCI-E (rather than Internal). When I run mandriva's hardware config tool, it doesn't detect the onboard graphics card, so it seems that making the PCI card default has in effect disabled the onboard one.

Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    There doesn't seem to be an option to disable on-board graphics (which is odd, cos I've found the options to disable onboard sound, onboard LAN etc). However, I can set which is default, so that's set to PCI-E (rather than Internal). When I run mandriva's hardware config tool, it doesn't detect the onboard graphics card, so it seems that making the PCI card default has in effect disabled the onboard one.

Giles
    That sounds reasonable. It would give priority to the add-on video card when you install an OS, but still allow you to use the internal card if necessary.

Does anyone have any idea where I should go from here? Any more information it would be useful for me to give?

Giles

My next step would be to blame Mandriva! . Which desktop are you using, KDE, Gnome, XFCE? And which version?

Oh dear... If it's a re-install distro job then it'll have to wait til after term's over I'm using KDE 3.5.10 (not touching 4 for a while...).

Giles

I'm using 3.5.4 on CentOS 5.3. In any case, this is an Xorg issue, not a KDE one, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else weird going on here. I'm not personally familiar with Mandriva.

Can you confirm what you said before about having the ATI native Linux driver installed? Also, I think you said you had both drivers installed (ATI and nVidia?). With a boot CD handy, some manual editing of /etc/X11/xorg.conf might work, after some experimentation. That's what I had to do originally to get my nVidia 8800GT card to work in dual-monitor mode. The system's KDE tools pretty much munged the file and I had similar (though different) problems to yours in getting X to work how I wanted. Truly a PITA! However, after much reading of on-line documentation and trying different options, I got it to work perfectly. Unfortunately, it took most of a full day to get there. That's why I posted the contents of my xorg.conf file previously - because it does work in dual-headed mode (though I am using LCD and not CRT displays), albeit with the nVidia drivers. Keep trying, and as they say, it's not the destination, it's the journey that counts!

Yes, I do have both ATI and nVidia drivers installed. I've uninstalled some kernel modules for the nVidia one, because I was hoping to just simplify things by removing possible source of conflict. Unfortunately I can't uninstall the nVidia driver itself, because the "x11-driver-video" package (which I assume I need) depends on it.

Yes, I guess it's just a case of slow and careful changes to xorg.conf and seeing when it breaks. (My xorg.conf-NEW here is a result of hand-writing it, but I tried to change it all at once).

I'm afraid that means that it will be a while before I can tell you whether I've had any success - I'm coming up to exams, so spending a day trying different arrangements of xorg.conf isn't really an option...

Thanks again for all your help
    Giles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2