Find the answer to your Linux question:
just wondering cause it no longer works on my pc...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

did compiz switch to just targeting people with high performance graphic cards

just wondering cause it no longer works on my pc

I assume the subtext here is that it was working, and then you upgraded something and it stopped working?

What is your graphics card? What distro are you running?

Just Joined!
    i upgraded to ubuntu 9.04 from ubuntu 8.10 the moment 9.04 was in its stable stage and i looked in youtube to see if anyone got compiz working

i looked in my system benchmark thing and it says VGA compatible controller

i think its just the graphics card cause it keeps saying that it wont run and my system has a 2.60 GHz and 1 gb of ram, it`s also a refurbished computer bought from microcenter with a sticker that says "designed for windows xp"

Post the output of
    Code:
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    lspci | grep -i vga

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Post the output of
    Code:
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    lspci | grep -i vga
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

There are known issues with the newer Intel graphics driver and it's not just Ubuntu. Here is some info from Ubuntu's site. You might want to downgrade to an older driver.

Just echoing what reed9 said, the Intel driver architecture has completely changed recently which has left some bugs that can cause lagging. You can enable it manually by commenting out a line in the compiz script or by skipping the checks on compiz's start
    Code:
    mkdir -p ~/.config/compiz/ && echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes >> ~/.config/compiz/compiz-manager
    Bare in mind that it was disabled as a precaution so if you enable it you may experience some instability. If you do experience instability remove the SKIP_CHECKS=yes line from the config file mentioned above.

Just Joined!
    ok thanks, that should give me a good explanation to my friends if they find that compiz doesnt work (you see, i told them linux has better desktop features like desktop cube and painting fire)

If you want to use heavy effects, compiz will put strain on your graphics card no matter what.
    If you just want a compositor for transperency and something like avant. try xcompmgr.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed